Quail in Canada 🇨🇦

Fancy-Pants

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2023
Hi All,

I’ve had backyard chickens for more than 10 years (this site really helped me when I was starting out 😁) and would like to branch out to raising quail. I don’t want to buy from Kijiji or other online market places as I’m concerned about inbreeding/genetics etc. so I’m looking for reputable hatchery that ships eggs. I would prefer a jumbo breed.

I live in Alberta, Canada.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
FP

Interesting … they would have to be pretty flexible to be able to drop everything and go for a drive. How long would you be able to leave eggs at the post office do you think?

Are there any customs issues coming back over the border?

I'm sure there would be customs issues. I think the people who pick them up in the US are sneaking them across, but I think the fines would be pretty bad if you got caught and the eggs would be confiscated.

You don't want the eggs to be more than 7 days old when you put them in the incubator. Shipped eggs usually get about a 50% hatch rate to begin with, and for every day past 7 days the viability of the eggs drops a bit more.

Hi All,

I’ve had backyard chickens for more than 10 years (this site really helped me when I was starting out 😁) and would like to branch out to raising quail. I don’t want to buy from Kijiji or other online market places as I’m concerned about inbreeding/genetics etc. so I’m looking for reputable hatchery that ships eggs. I would prefer a jumbo breed.

I live in Alberta, Canada.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
FP
I found this as a place that sells jumbo coturnix hatching eggs in Manitoba: https://breezybirdfarms.com/online-...s-available-now/p/294781500/category=27871661
The same source listed beaupeepfarms.com in B.C. as another source, but they don't appear to have quail available currently.

Back
Top Bottom