how much do quail eat

potatoyay

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
we are hoping to have ehh, six coturnix quail? they might be jumbos though, we're not sure. the person didn't tell us, but their ad said they had jumbo hens so they might have been jumbo eggs that hatched? anyways, how much would 6 of them eat in a day. or how much might 1 eat a day. I'm talking about the adults once they go on adult food

My accounting figures them to each eat about a half pound a week. Less as chicks, more as adults. I saw a video from a big farm where they plan around an avg of 1.6 or 1.7 ounces/day over their growth span.

Keep feed in front of them 24/7.. gravity type feeders are best, they waste a ton if given the opportunity, you must make it impossible for them to scratch at feed (feet and beak) 1 inch by half inch hardware cloth helps with that, remember to buy another bag before the first one gets 3/4 empty..
I wanted to piggy back this comment for emphasis. I’ve gone to my local store before and more than one they were out of the feed I wanted. Fortunately I typically keep a spare bag in rotation but that easily could have been a problem.

I wanted to piggy back this comment for emphasis. I’ve gone to my local store before and more than one they were out of the feed I wanted. Fortunately I typically keep a spare bag in rotation but that easily could have been a problem.
Yes.. I carry over 2-3 bags of all feed each month, my feed room in the barn is always stocked.. Dog, cat, rabbit, chicken layer, hen scratch, mixed flock, chick starter, gamebird starter, gamebird ration. I have severe mobility issues due to MS and some days I can’t walk at all.. I have had times where for 2-3-4 days I can’t do anything can’t drive can’t pick up a sack of feed much less carry it so I keep a surplus of everything on hand.. not to mention the “supply chain issues” we are facing in this country today..

we are hoping to have ehh, six coturnix quail? they might be jumbos though, we're not sure. the person didn't tell us, but their ad said they had jumbo hens so they might have been jumbo eggs that hatched? anyways, how much would 6 of them eat in a day. or how much might 1 eat a day. I'm talking about the adults once they go on adult food
Just keep food in front of them, they know when to stop eating usually. Sometimes they'll overeat if they don't get enough sunlight, in my experience- :)

Back
Top Bottom