Do any of you keep Pigeons with your chickens?

Lil'ChickFarm

Songster
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
I am getting Indian Fantail Pigeons. I want them to have some free roaming time.
Our back yard is divided up into an area that is fenced in for my chickens with bird netting over the top, so that they are safe inside and can't fly out.
I am hoping that they might free range some with my chickens.
I just wondered if others have both together? I would love to hear your experiences. Thanks.

I am getting Indian Fantail Pigeons. I want them to have some free roaming time.
Our back yard is divided up into an area that is fenced in for my chickens with bird netting over the top, so that they are safe inside and can't fly out.
I am hoping that they might free range some with my chickens.
I just wondered if others have both together? I would love to hear your experiences. Thanks.

We had a small flock of doves (5) camp out in our chicken run area for awhile-- and they would even go into the coop during the day (door is shut at night) -- one thing I did notice is that since they are fliers (vs the chickens who more or less stay on the ground and fly up in short bursts) is that with the pigeons/doves, you end up with poop on more surfaces, little poops everywhere(on our picnic table and chairs we had out in the chicken yard which is our back yard)....Otherwise they shared the waterers and feeders no problem, but seemed to have migrated onwards at this point...
They were very harmonious for the most part, I did see the Roo get possessive when I put out a pan of scraps, then he would charge them to keep them out of the vicinity...

Back
Top Bottom