Do chicken eggs sell?

My grandson put up a sign at the road brown eggs 2.50 a dozenn We live in a small community in Ohio and people do drive by and see the sign. When we are out of eggs the sign comes down. There have been times when we can't fill the order so phone no. are exchanged. I know we are cheap and will gradually raise the price to $3.00 So far we sell asorted sizes in the carton.

Last edited:
They sell for $4/dozen with no problem here in Vegas, more if you have blue or green eggs. I'm thinking of getting quail and selling those eggs too! :)

Sorry if it's silly haha but i recently bought laying hens so this is my first year with them. I sell eggs at $60 per dozen (but that's because I breed quality gamefowl. These eggs aren't for eating though. They are for hatching).

So I was just wondering what if I buy laying hens? And how many should I buy? I have 13 young pullets (5 months) and this lady sells them for $10 each of that same age. I feel like buying more chickens. What do you think?

Good layers average about one egg per day, so figure out what your demand might be and go from there. Your 13 will give you almost a dozen a day, most people only use that much per week or less, so just your existing chickens could provide enough eggs for six to seven customers each week.

I love our hens. They like to come up to the back door and sing me the song of their people once they've laid because they know they get treats for eggs!

They DEFINITELY taste better!!! A daughter of a friend I sell them to literally said this to her mom... "Mommy! These eggs taste nasty!!!! Why are they so yucky-looking???!!!"  

LOL!

Oh my gosh. I heard something similar(in reverse) from an adult when I was visiting a fabulous free range farm here. I kid you not this grown woman said to her kids that were gathering eggs that she didn't want to buy any eggs there because they came from a chicken butt, they'd get some from the store. Where the heck does she think the eggs from the store came from?! Super face-palm. Fresh free range wasn't as good as those months old ones in cartons!

Last edited:
They sell for $4/dozen with no problem here in Vegas, more if you have blue or green eggs. I'm thinking of getting quail and selling those eggs too! :)

In my neck of the woods you can't give quail eggs away! At auction a couple weeks ago they only brought $1 a dozen.

In my neck of the woods you can't give quail eggs away! At auction a couple weeks ago they only brought $1 a dozen.

That's crazy! Even at the Asian grocery stores where they're cheap it's $3 for ten of those tiny suckers. Maybe Vegas just has a lot of foodies and not a lot of quail :)

Good layers average about one egg per day, so figure out what your demand might be and go from there. Your 13 will give you almost a dozen a day, most people only use that much per week or less, so just your existing chickens could provide enough eggs for six to seven customers each week.

I love our hens. They like to come up to the back door and sing me the song of their people once they've laid because they know they get treats for eggs!

My chickens are 6 months and I only get about 1 egg every two days from all 6 of them. Is it ok?

My chickens are 6 months and I only get about 1 egg every two days from all 6 of them. Is it ok?

I think it has a lot to do with the breed of chicken. My Rhode Island mix lays one huge egg per day, two every now and then. My Plymouth Rock lays one almost every day, she skips about once per week. I know other birds just don't produce as often. As long as theyre laying normal looking eggs, even infrequent ones, your birds are fine. :)

I have 14 hens 5 bard rocks, 9 light brahmas, I average about 12 a day and so far sell to two people both prefer the 18 count
I charge 3 for 12 and 5 for 18 I am like just a few cents less than the local store and live in a very small town I do have 4 signs
at the road one in front of the house and three more along the fence line on three sides are property is 3/4 an acre pie shaped.
I agree my Brahmas do not lay daily my Bards do I am putting a second small coop up
but will only have Bard rocks in it.

Last edited:
I live near Seattle, WA and I haven't had any problems selling eggs. Over a year ago I started selling them at $3 a dozen until one of my coworkers refused to pay me less than $5. Now I sell them between $4-5 per dozen and I have a long waiting list of people wanting to buy them. Lately I have been selling 3+ dozen a week depending on hen production.

I don't make any profit with this really, it just covers my feed costs making my hobby nearly free which is all I could ever want. I love my hobby and getting to hatch eggs out every 6 months for essentially no cost is great fun.

Back
Top Bottom