Do chicken eggs sell?

I have ten hens and sell my eggs for $5 a dozen to friends and neighbors. We give some away as gifts to people , too. The most I could possibly make in a month if every hen laid an egg every day and I sold them all, would be $125, which ain't gonna happen! I just hope to recoup some of the expenses, while bringing joy to folks. Once your friends try your eggs, they won't want anything else. I got 3 call for eggs yesterday alone.

i got 8 production red pullets 24 weeks old today they started laying at 19 weeks old last week i had 53 eggs not bad. in new orleans area brown eggs are selling at 4.29 a dozen.

I have 13 chickens who are just starting to lay. I sell my eggs at a farmers market in the New Orleans area, Gretna Farmers Market. Eggs there go for $5 a dozen. This coming weekend will be my first time selling eggs from this new batch of chickens. I think I'll have 2 dozen large eggs, $5, and 3 dozen small eggs, $4. There are about 4 folks selling eggs at this market & we all sell out before 10 am. If someone wants me to hold eggs for them, they have to pay for them upfront. I've had too many folks who want you to hold eggs and then not show up.

I visited another market recently in an upscale part of the city, and their eggs are going for $7 a dozen.

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone here has ever sold their chicken eggs locally and if it was a disaster or if it worked out great. I have 8 Rhode Island Red pullets, 3 White Leghorns, and 1 Ameraucana. Someone is selling Production Red pullets of 5 months of age but it's a 40 minute drive. Does anyone know if it is worth it? Do chicken eggs sell fast? Good/Bad investment? Let me know. Thanks in advance!

Other details:
- I live in Littlerock, CA
- 1 dz of brown large eggs cost $6+ at my local grocers.
- 1 acre land
- Nearly no one sells eggs. I've looked on Craigslist and the only eggs are in Palmdale. (City over)
- Don't worry saying it's too much work (I looooovveeee chickens so it's not a problem)
Hi Gamefowl

I have a small flock of 17 chickens, assorted varieties, but all great egg layers. (I started with 4). I began selling eggs by giving my workout partner at the gym a dozen eggs once or twice a week as I had too many for us to eat. Others noticed and asked if I would sell them eggs. I now sell several dozen at the gym regularly and have more who have asked for them when my new 11 babies start laying. I don't make a huge profit, but I am making enough to take a huge dent out of the feed bill. Plus my chickens free range all summer and that helps cut down on the feed bill. I notice signs around where I live (very rural) of people selling eggs. Before I had chickens, I was hesitant to buy from them because I didn't know them, didn't know how well they cared for their chickens, and who knows how "fresh" those eggs really are. By selling to people I know, they know I have a healthy flock and take good care of my chickens. By the way, I now have a couple customers who are friends of friends at the gym...so your business can grow! Best of luck.

welcome-byc.gif
@KJsFlock !!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to reply..........YES!!!!, boy, do they ever sell. I bought a box of blank egg cartons on line and a rubber stamp with the name of our farm on it, stamped up the cartons, painted a  plywood oval white and wrote "EGGS" on it, stuck it, a cooler of egg cartons, and a cheap locking mail box outside the gate. That was all she wrote. DO NOT UNDERVALUE YOUR EGGS!!! These are NOT store bought eggs and anyone silly enough to expect them to cost the same as the poor jailbird hens' eggs doesn't deserve you and your girls. Get the price right and they will pay for their feed and for the retired hens also. Remember - you have to allow for the slowdown in winter. You might consider a few Khaki Campbell ducks, too. My friend's and mine laid right through the winter. I used to have a customer whose daughter was allergic to chicken eggs, but could eat duck eggs. I also had a vegetarian customer who bought from me because she knew I do not kill my hens. They are just retired to fertilize the yard and pastures.

Where do you buy your stamper and your blank egg cartons? I want to experiment on this and see results. Thanks

I can't speak for others, but I've had a great time selling my eggs.  I have 31 hens and a rooster.  The hens are of varying ages and breeds, but most are known to be good egg layers, and I typically get between 18 and 25 eggs a day.  I average selling 6 boxes of 18 eggs a week with what I get, and I often have a waiting list of people who want eggs.  I sell at work and at my chiropractor's office!  I walked in with 3 boxes and they were gone in 30 seconds.  I took another three in the next visit, and those went about that fast too.  My advertising is "word of mouth" at this point, so I've been able to keep up with demand and have a nice selection for my own family, when we want them.  Cage free brown eggs are about $6.50 in the stores here for 1 1/2 dozen, and I sell mine for $5.00.  If they want just a dozen, it's $3.50.  I also live on 10 acres out in the country, so I rarely sell in my neighborhood since most of them have chickens of their own.  I do give extras to my elderly neighbors though.  Good luck!

At what age did your hens start laying? I have 6 production reds but I only get 1 egg every 2 days. They are 5 months old.

I have ten hens and sell my eggs for $5 a dozen to friends and neighbors. We give some away as gifts to people , too. The most I could possibly make in a month if every hen laid an egg every day and I sold them all, would be $125, which ain't gonna happen! I just hope to recoup some of the expenses, while bringing joy to folks. Once your friends try your eggs, they won't want anything else. I got 3 call for eggs yesterday alone.

How many eggs a month do you usually get from your hens?

Hi Gamefowl

I have a small flock of 17 chickens, assorted varieties, but all great egg layers.  (I started with 4).  I began selling eggs by giving my workout partner at the gym a dozen eggs once or twice a week as I had too many for us to eat.  Others noticed and asked if I would sell them eggs.  I now sell several dozen at the gym regularly and have more who have asked for them when my new 11 babies start laying.  I don't make a huge profit, but I am making enough to take a huge dent out of the feed bill.  Plus my chickens free range all summer and that helps cut down on the feed bill.  I notice signs around where I live (very rural) of people selling eggs.  Before I had chickens, I was hesitant to buy from them because I didn't know them, didn't know how well they cared for their chickens, and who knows how "fresh" those eggs really are. By selling to people I know, they know I have a healthy flock and take good care of my chickens.  By the way, I now have a couple customers who are friends of friends at the gym...so your business can grow!  Best of luck.

Did you have any trouble getting the word out or did the word just spread that you sold eggs? I was thinking of putting a Craigslist ad. I don't know if anyone here has tried that.

The word just spread that I sold eggs. One of the ladies I sell to at the gym works in a retail fabric store and brought them to work with her and stored them in the refrigerator while she was working. One of her co-workers asked her about them and now she buys eggs from me too. But I have more requests than I have eggs.

Back
Top Bottom