Do chicken recognize their owners?

Chiko

Songster
9 Years
Nov 25, 2010
Orem, Utah.
This thought occurred to me when my aunt walks in to the chicken coop and all the hens ran for cover, my aunt was just wearing jeans, and a white shirt, with black shoes, and normal hair. Then I walk in wearing almost the same thing except my shirt was red and the hens came out to eat from my hand.....She did nothing different than I did, so I'm wondering, do they know I'm their owner and only respect me?

That is so cute! Is there anything we can do do make them comfortable around other people not just me?

My girls come running to most anyone who comes in the yard thinking they are going to get treats (they are very spoiled!!). Do you give treats? If not try BOSS in a cup, they will learn to recognize the shaking of the cup and probably come running to who ever has it. Good luck and can't wait to see other responses.

redhead, I do give them treats, everyday :) I go outside after school with last nights leftovers in a pot in my hand, I yell 'here chicky chicky!" and they all come running. But when other people do it, they just sit there staring at eachother :p

I read an article that said that chickens recognize other flockmates predominantly by sight, and are capable of recognizing more than 100 individual faces.

Mine recognize my face and voice. They will only come to me and don't come running for my hubby or kids.

Mine recognize me and my sons that are still at home. My husband and daughter...no way. They will run screaming, or if they pursue, will bite!

Back
Top Bottom