do chickens eat chiggers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kaylakala, Aug 4, 2008.

1. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    I read that they eat ticks. but what about chiggers. We might be moving to an area in Arkansas that is chigger infested.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
  3. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    Thanks. [​IMG]

4. turtleblossom

turtleblossom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    Akane, thanks for the link about chigges! My mother (to this day) insists that chiggers crawl into your skin and lay eggs. I truly believe that this is one of the reasons that I am phobic about parasites. (((Shuttering at at the thought)))

5. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    I found that link about a month ago and it was very helpful. While building my coop I must have gotten a few chiggers on me because my ankles were raw from the itch. I didn't see anything else it could have been, so I assume chiggers. I am not allergic to poison ivy and the symptoms were as described in the link and went away after 7-10 days.

Don't know what the cause was because my lawn is kept short which is where the coop is being built and I am always in that part of the yard and never got them before. I am concerned now about the coop being placed there now because of the possibility of the chiggers. Would DE kill the chiggers if they were in that area of the yard if I dusted? I have about another month before I put the girls out there but don't want to intentionally put them in a known infested area until it's under control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by