Do chickens feel sad when I take her eggs??

indi

Songster
9 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Hi my chickens (well hens and roo) have been you know *wink wink nudge nudge* and we don't want new chicks so I was going to take the egg BEFORE she sets them, but will she feel sad??
Cause if so I will let her hatch them! But we are at a loss of what to do even if they aren't fertilised will she feel sad???

Quote:
I would not call it a joke. Some people have chickens as pets, instead of a business. Not everyone who posts is a mature adult either. So please have that in mind.
I think it is a good question. Based on what I have seen with mine, they just lay their eggs and walk out of the coop. They do not cluck or act upset when they look in the nest after I removed an egg, so I assume they're not keeping track of them..

Only a chicken can talk about chicken feelings. Humans aren't able to say whether or not they have feelings anyway.

I wondered the same thing -- but after 4 months of the new girls laying, I noticed that if they have *any* human-like emotion regarding egg laying, it is PRIDE! They sing their egg song loud and proud, and my two barred rocks are the cheerleaders of the flock, running to the coop to sing along with the other ladies as they lay. When they are done they strut out of the nest box, head high, not a backwards glance.

If someone goes broody, hormones and instinct will change that, but for now, they are very pleased that Mama makes her happy noises at them for making such beautiful eggs.

Hi my chickens (well hens and roo) have been you know *wink wink nudge nudge* and we don't want new chicks so I was going to take the egg BEFORE she sets them, but will she feel sad??
Cause if so I will let her hatch them! But we are at a loss of what to do even if they aren't fertilised will she feel sad???

Mine just laid her first egg today, I took it away. The poor hen keeps looking for her egg, going into her coop and digging every where of course making a raucous whilst at it. Her two friend hens were joining in looking under the coop and everywhere. So sad :(

Actually, I find it rude that people would assume to know what another species thinks or feels...
Yes animals feel some type of emotion...not the same as we humans do perhaps, but a type of connection to other animals and humans.
That being said, only your chicken can tell you if it upsets them to have an egg taken.
As a mom and having watched multiple species with their young, I would wonder also if a momma of another species is a "Mommy" type, and a Chook has hatched an egg before and mothered her young, do they "know" that egg could become a chick? If so, then maybe she would either wonder what you're doing with her young or not worry because she knows there is another one coming soon.❤️
Hufflepuff to the max here

After I collect the egs the three chickens that are laying daily raise hell in the barn for a couple hours, mostly arguing over nesting spaces. one hen has taken over the whole box I built that has three boxes in it,,,she wants no other birds in their with her.

Quote:
X2 Chickens might look to you as if they are sad, but that is more so your guilt for taking the eggs. My hens are not even fazed and any looks I get are more of curiosity than anything. I have never had a depressed hen from the loss of eggs or chicks. But, some times you will have a hen determined to hatch, it can sometimes be a very strong instinct.
Don't beat your self up so. Taking the eggs is nothing to feel guilty about.

Back
Top Bottom