Do chickens go through laying "lulls"?

the lone rhubarb

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
The beautiful rolling countryside
I have about 15 RIRs and plymoth barred rock hens, and for the past few weeks, they have only been laying
from like 1 to 4 eggs a day, and I am picking them up on time, and feeding with oyster shell and everything,
but they just still won't lay!!! I am getting rather frustrated, as feed costs alot, and my usual customers keep
asking when I will have eggs again. Any advice?
roll.png
th.gif
haha

I don't know what the light and temperatures are on "the Moon" but here both are decreasing here which slows the birds down a bit. It also depends on the age of the birds, what is going on around them, whether they've decided to moult or if they have found a good place to hide the eggs. Lots of reasons but "yes" they do go through lulls. You do have a couple of good laying breeds so they should continue or return to a fairly decent rate--again depending on age.

Well, first look for alternate places they may be laying. If they free range at all. I found a clutch with 13 eggs in it once. Having said that- mine are not laying as much over the last 2wks as before. I am searching hi and lo for nests other than the nice ones we built but so far none have been located. We blocked the one from b/f. They laid there b/c we were out of town and the wind blew the door closed on the coop.

Hmmmmm... well thanks guys!!!! They don't free range and there is nowhere for them to hide eggs I have just
cleaned the coop. It is cooling down a bit here but not much.
Another thing I have been suspicious of, is that some of those pesky RIR hens have been eating them.
They will simply walk up to (someone ELSES egg), and just peck it open. Last time I caught one, boy did she
get a good ol' mud-boot-out-the-door!!!!! Haha. But, really, it isn't much of a laughing matter, because feed and eggs
are money, and I can't spend it on just having chicken "pets". But, thank you guys very much, I really appreciate the help!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom