Do Chickens Like to Get Into Water?

I have two "box" fans set up for my birds, I made a slot for the fan because otherwise the birds try to roost on it and knock the fans over. I had been finding them later doing none of the birds any good. The slots I push the side of the fan in keeps them upright and doing the job I had intended them to do. I don't have a large enough shade area so some of the birds will go inside during the hottest time of day and sit in front of the fans, once it starts to cool off and the barn creates shade over the chicken run they come back out and sit in the grass where its cooler.

I have a container that is low to the ground for my chicken to drink from.

I have never seen her do it, but it looks like she may actually get into the container from time to time. I say that because there is constantly a lot of dirt and sand in the bottom of the container, and it's not in a place where the dirt and sand can blow into it. I put fresh water in it every 1 to 2 days.

If she has been getting into it, I'm considering buying one of the really shallow baby pools and put it in the yard to her to get into.

How does that idea sound to some of you more experienced chicken owners?

Thanks for any information you can give!!!
My chickens like to stay out in the rain so if it is cool I have to run them into the coup so they do like water. I live in SC and a mister works great.

I always use a dollar store kids pool and put sand in it. Wet the sand and put it in the shade. I also have a water bucket they stick their heads in and let the water run down them. But the sand is the favorite. Just clean it with a cat poop scoop every couple of days.

My one light Brahma has taken to perching on the edge of a pan watered with her toes in the water. I have also seen her once standing in it. When I get a chance I want to make the large frozen ice block to put into...something I haven’t figured out yet... so the can mini wade in cool water. I have only a little shade in the run right now - under raised bed planted palms. The girls hang up next to them a lot. I’m also growing a shade bush in the run but that won’t be helpful until this fall.

I have a container that is low to the ground for my chicken to drink from.

I have never seen her do it, but it looks like she may actually get into the container from time to time. I say that because there is constantly a lot of dirt and sand in the bottom of the container, and it's not in a place where the dirt and sand can blow into it. I put fresh water in it every 1 to 2 days.

If she has been getting into it, I'm considering buying one of the really shallow baby pools and put it in the yard to her to get into.

How does that idea sound to some of you more experienced chicken owners?

Thanks for any information you can give!!!

My girls are funny. It's hot here in Texas. I put a little water in the kiddie pool with a rock in the center. Occasionally, they'll go in there; but they really prefer to go into a small dishpan size container, singly. In fact I've put out my turkey roaster with a few inches of water in it, cause it easier for me to handle since it has the handles on it, and I find they like to take turns sitting in that! Go figure!

Here is a picture of them cooling off in the turkey roaster!

Attachments

• Cooling off.jpg
    Cooling off.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom