Do chickens need a flock member the same breed?

Hyper_Chicken05

Songster
Nov 29, 2017
New Zealand
Hello, I was wondering if you need more than one hen of a breed in your flock, Because i am planning on having a mixed breed flock And I will be getting barely any hens that are the same breed. And will they get lonely if they are the only breed of their kind? Anyways Thx for your help.

I have 6 chickens (4 different breeds, 3 of one breed) and the 3 of the same breed(Plymouth barred rock) gang up and are definitely on the top of the pecking order. I’d even recommend getting different breeds altogether(no two alike) so that they are all equally different and dont bully each other cause of differences.

Do you
I have 6 chickens (4 different breeds, 3 of one breed) and the 3 of the same breed(Plymouth barred rock) gang up and are definitely on the top of the pecking order. I’d even recommend getting different breeds altogether(no two alike) so that they are all equally different and dont bully each other cause of differences.
Do you think australorps will gang up?, The only reason I decided i want two of them is because i heard that other flock members will pick on single australorps because they are so docile and not dominant.

Do you

Do you think australorps will gang up?, The only reason I decided i want two of them is because i heard that other flock members will pick on single australorps because they are so docile and not dominant.
Hmm, I don’t know, i don’t have experience with austrolorps, I wouldn’t take the rist of only getting one but I wouldn’t get 2 for fear of ganging up. As long as they are brooded together and the austalorp is not taken away for long periods of time it may become more social

Australorps are a little docile but not so bad that its going to cause issues, especially if its raised with different breeds. The only breed i can definitely tell you to get two of if you get the breed is faverolles, they are extremely docile and one alone would suffer in the pecking order.
Do you

Back
Top Bottom