Do chickens need a flock member the same breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hyper_Chicken05, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Hyper_Chicken05

Hyper_Chicken05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2017
    Hamilton, New zealand
    Hello, I was wondering if you need more than one hen of a breed in your flock, Because i am planning on having a mixed breed flock And I will be getting barely any hens that are the same breed. And will they get lonely if they are the only breed of their kind? Anyways Thx for your help.

greggooo likes this.
  2. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Flock Master

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    No, I don't think so. As long as they have other chickens it should be fine.

greggooo and Chickassan like this.
  3. Chickassan

Chickassan Flock Master

May 23, 2017
    Noneya
    No they don't care about breed unless someone is very different like a polish or a silkie. I've got hens of all kinds and they all get along fine. :)

greggooo and sylviethecochin like this.
  4. Hyper_Chicken05

Nov 29, 2017
    Hamilton, New zealand
    Ok... That's a relief Thx

5. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Chicken Obsessed

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    I have 6 chickens (4 different breeds, 3 of one breed) and the 3 of the same breed(Plymouth barred rock) gang up and are definitely on the top of the pecking order. I’d even recommend getting different breeds altogether(no two alike) so that they are all equally different and dont bully each other cause of differences.

greggooo likes this.
  6. Hyper_Chicken05

Nov 29, 2017
    Hamilton, New zealand
    Do you
    Do you think australorps will gang up?, The only reason I decided i want two of them is because i heard that other flock members will pick on single australorps because they are so docile and not dominant.

7. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Chicken Obsessed

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Hmm, I don’t know, i don’t have experience with austrolorps, I wouldn’t take the rist of only getting one but I wouldn’t get 2 for fear of ganging up. As long as they are brooded together and the austalorp is not taken away for long periods of time it may become more social

greggooo likes this.
  8. Chickassan

Chickassan Flock Master

May 23, 2017
    Noneya
    Australorps are a little docile but not so bad that its going to cause issues, especially if its raised with different breeds. The only breed i can definitely tell you to get two of if you get the breed is faverolles, they are extremely docile and one alone would suffer in the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by