Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

• Yes

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
So humans make Vitamin D via sunlight hitting their skin. However, birds are covered with feathers, with the exception of their small faces and combs/wattles, so I'm curious if chickens manufacture Vitamin D at all, and if it is related to sunlight exposure in their systems.

Really don't know the answer, but since chickens and humans are really pretty different, beginning with feather coverage for one, and not for the other, I'm interested to know.
Birds absorb sunlight through their feathers. It's a must for healthy feathers.

Have you ever seen a chicken sunbathe or scratch through a pile of leaves? They dearly LOVE it!

My birds free range and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I know the dangers of predation and I don’t like it, but I’m willing to chance it for their happiness. I suppose we have the usual predators: hawk, coyote, coon, possum. But my birds are locked up securely at night and for the occasional, daytime hawk flyover, the chickens have tremendous cover to flee to when alerted by the roosters, dogs, or another hen.

IMHO, a chicken being cooped up would be the equivalent to me being confined to a hospital bed. Doable? Yes, but I’d go insane. Literally.

Just yesterday evening while sitting outside I took this picture because it is representative of my total bliss, my happy place. It was chilly and drizzly, but my chickens were out milling about in the yard and my two outside dogs were content, which all made me happy.

0EBBC626-A783-43F2-8BB9-CE8389385252.jpeg

Just to be clear, this isn't about my animal husbandry. My chickens are actually doing fine, my once confined birds were killed by a skunk (rip) and no longer part of the equation.
I understand the concern but please realize I started this thread for community discussion on the op question, not to criticize me. :)

Just yesterday evening while sitting outside I took this picture because it is representative of my total bliss, my happy place. It was chilly and drizzly, but my chickens were out milling about in the yard and my two outside dogs were content, which all made me happy.
Sweet pic. It reminds me so much of my late McNab, who loved to sit out in the yard, quietly watching over his kingdom.

there are a lot of chicken coops on the country roads with no run. i personally hate to think of chickens never getting to step outside but if proper ventilation space and ect. and they are locked up 24/7 nope no run needed. although again i hate the concept of it.

My final thoughts on if a run is actually required or if birds can be cooped 24/7......

I think meeting the physical needs can be done keeping birds in a structure 24/7.
It would put a challenge to the keepers of course.
Things I think would be challenging....
Getting sunlight to the birds, adequate exercise, and pecking caused by boredom.

There would be a need to provide a very large structure with windows or shutters that can be opened fully to the sun. Dusting areas and additional checks on feet aren't that difficult to do.

It would be an endeavor that would take careful planning and thought put into it.

Awe, I know. I had to have my poor Drake euthanized on Christmas Eve. He too loved being with the birds. All my dogs do.
Gosh, He looks so much like my dog Dusty. I didn't have the chickens when he was still alive, but I would not have trusted him with them. When my brother had him, he killed a couple of his neighbors homers that landed in the yard. I'm sorry for your loss, somehow it always seems worse around the holidays.

:thumbsup
Just to be clear, this isn't about my animal husbandry. My chickens are actually doing fine, my once confined birds were killed by a skunk (rip) and no longer part of the equation.
I understand the concern but please realize I started this thread for community discussion on the op question, not to criticize me. :)
@Cyprus, I certainly hope this wasn’t directed at my post since it immediately followed it. Never once would I intentionally criticize anyone on their animal husbandry (not simply from something I’ve read on the internet, at least).

Please let me know if you feel I’ve unjustly criticized you and I’ll remove my post. :hit

Back
Top Bottom