Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

• Yes

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
Pics
Thank you very much. I love my life and my little farm. Now don’t get me wrong, my life has major mountains and some pot holes thrown in, but my chickens help me get through all that mess, and I wouldn’t change it for the world. But I am more than thankful for my chickens. :love

I know exactly what you mean! We have a farm too... Plus horses and we're a small private beagle and basset rescue. Or hounds stay with us forever btw.
I only started with chickens in the late Fall (rescuing Sir Rodger from the pot) and I have no idea how, but now he has four wives!! :lau
I can't keep the chickens in the yard around the house as that's like the dogs personal enclosed dog park!!
So, I found the perfect spot in the farmyard itself. They help me decompress for sure! I will stand and watch them till my handwarmers inside my gloves go cold and my feet freeze!! I'm also constantly eyeing up my setup looking where it can be improved! :rolleyes:
So many ideas for the Spring!! Plus a few I can implement now.... If my fingers and toes weren't frozen!
So many great ideas from everyone and now I'm about to freeze again picking up all those dead leaves and giving the chooks a bagful! :wee

If chickens do not have a run, what would you recommend for coop design?
I’ve been thinking about that and even though I don’t know where you live you might benefit from one of those “Woods” coop, I think they call it. @jthornton and many others here know more about those. It’s kind of an open coop so I think technically it would be very easy to s-t-r-e-t-c-h out the run part. Look into those.

I know exactly what you mean! We have a farm too... Plus horses and we're a small private beagle and basset rescue. Or hounds stay with us forever btw.
I only started with chickens in the late Fall (rescuing Sir Rodger from the pot) and I have no idea how, but now he has four wives!! :lau
I can't keep the chickens in the yard around the house as that's like the dogs personal enclosed dog park!!
So, I found the perfect spot in the farmyard itself. They help me decompress for sure! I will stand and watch them till my handwarmers inside my gloves go cold and my feet freeze!! I'm also constantly eyeing up my setup looking where it can be improved! :rolleyes:
So many ideas for the Spring!! Plus a few I can implement now.... If my fingers and toes weren't frozen!
So many great ideas from everyone and now I'm about to freeze again picking up all those dead leaves and giving the chooks a bagful! :wee
Even though animals require a major commitment on the owners part, I believe they are entirely worth it. I mean, who really needs a vacation? :gig

You know, that is exactly what the majority of stuff in my run is - leaves - along with pine shavings and a bit of mulch. And, yes, they do love it. You don’t even have to spread the leaves. Just dump them by the bagfuls in there, the chickens will do the rest.

Going to do it right now!! And yes, I'll just dump them. They've got 160sq.ft to spread it around in, plus the terrible wind we're having will help to disperse it outside of the covered run area!! :gig

I’ve been thinking about that and even though I don’t know where you live you might benefit from one of those “Woods” coop, I think they call it. @jthornton and many others here know more about those. It’s kind of an open coop so I think technically it would be very easy to s-t-r-e-t-c-h out the run part. Look into those.
Yes, I have heard of those :)

Unfortunately, as with most everything today, people are going to be biased, no matter the subject. I honestly don’t think we (yes, I’ll include myself...just a tad, though :oops:) sit down and actually talk to people for any length of time anymore and that is so sad. It is also very detrimental to our society.

How many of us actually know our neighbors, no matter how close or far? Of those, how many do we talk to? Shoot, now days if we can’t text someone we just don’t talk to them. How many of y’all know what I’m saying?

With everyone seemingly living in this “me” world, we are so quick to react and think the only information out there that is correct is what “we” know. Added to this “thinking ‘my’ knowledge is best” is the absence of tone, inflection, etc. in the words we type. And then, before you know it an all out bru-ha-ha has erupted simply because a text has been completely misconstrued. And I believe this all brews down to the fact that we as a society do not talk enough anymore.

Now I will confess, I’ve been one to think “my” way of doing something is best. However, in my defense, I am an only child (had no other choice than to think my way was best) and I am a perfectionist. :thWell, that says it all now doesn’t it? After saying that I feel the need to clarify a few things.
  1. I get to work and do things by myself, a lot
  2. If something is on my mind, I usually want it done that way
  3. I fold the towels and put away the dishes (ensures it’s done like I want it)
  4. BUT...
  5. I will NEVER criticize someone for something they have done/are doing, even if I wouldn’t have done it that way
  6. I have been known to say I think it may work better done another way (this is mostly with family though)
  7. I have a butt load of common sense and am mechanically inclined and when others don’t see the same thing I do (my DH) it irritates me :barnie
  8. Which takes me back to #1
I digress, enough about my faults! We have all got to begin talking to each other again. But since that probably isn’t gonna happen we need to learn to express more sympathy and empathy toward others. Yeah, I guess I’m guilty of that at times too.

Well, I’ll shut up now! I need to go lock my chickens up.

P.S. Did y’all know that chickens don’t see well in the dark? :lau The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park could see! WTHeck!
:frow

Back
Top Bottom