Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

• Yes

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
Pics
I don’t have a “coop and run”. When I was thinking about housing one of my concerns was dealing with snow load (our ave 120” a year)from November-April. A traditional run setup wouldn’t work for me for our long winters. So I wanted something that would give a dry draft free home in winter but lots of fresh air and sunshine in spring,summer and fall. They get yard time for grass and bugs when we actually have those (4-5 hrs a day and all day on weekends) This works for me and my Silkies. It is 28’x8’ I have 15 adult Silkies, 5 2 month old Silkie chicks and 4 Seramas not sure how much SQ per chicken to figure (do Seramas and chicks count)The one thing I will definitely not do next year is go into winter with late summer Silkie grow outs because right now I have 4 cockerels ( about 5-6 months old) just now able to sex and coming of age and 2 roosters. I have been shoveling an area for the boys to spend time outside to give the girls a break during the day.
7B36EFB0-6F7A-41C6-A03E-8DDBCE43B2F5.jpeg
3B0147AA-5D26-4F1C-9C14-A4C8B2D9EBB8.jpeg
E9716032-82A2-4782-BAB3-250599B763A4.jpeg
DC23E23D-1236-49A4-B7CE-74985412FDAB.jpeg

I agree. A Wood’s coop or other design of an open coop, so to speak.

The breeder where I bought my first chicks had several coop/runs for many of her chickens (not her breeders though) that looked to be a permanent chicken tractor. It was basically a partially uncovered chicken run with the coop section in one end. The side and back walls were covered with tin and there were roosts and nest boxes built in. This was in west central Georgia and the weather is not too extreme in the winter. I’m not sure if this type setup would work in much colder climates.
It would not work in the northern USA, where I live. Winters are harsh, snow is on the ground until June.

My chickens tell me every morning why they need a run as they line up and wait for the automated door to open for them to have access to the run. As soon as the door opens they sprint out to what? An enclosed space with no real food. Just sunshine (hopefully), fresh sir, and some dirt to scratch in. Their food and water are in the coop with space to hold several more birds comfortably. Yet they can't wait to get outside.

It's a quality of life issue for me. They seem very happy to be in their run, scratching, sunning, dust bathing, in general, just being chickens.

I don’t have a “coop and run”. When I was thinking about housing one of my concerns was dealing with snow load (our ave 120” a year)from November-April. A traditional run setup wouldn’t work for me for our long winters. So I wanted something that would give a dry draft free home in winter but lots of fresh air and sunshine in spring,summer and fall. They get yard time for grass and bugs when we actually have those (4-5 hrs a day and all day on weekends) This works for me and my Silkies. It is 28’x8’ I have 15 adult Silkies, 5 2 month old Silkie chicks and 4 Seramas not sure how much SQ per chicken to figure (do Seramas and chicks count)The one thing I will definitely not do next year is go into winter with late summer Silkie grow outs because right now I have 4 cockerels ( about 5-6 months old) just now able to sex and coming of age and 2 roosters. I have been shoveling an area for the boys to spend time outside to give the girls a break during the day.
View attachment 1633767 View attachment 1633768 View attachment 1633764 View attachment 1633765
I love that!

See I could actually go the way of just run no real coop I think - a guy down the road has the most lovely looking / safe set up with high safe fences and in the middle of the huge paddock (which OK he is an old French dude and obviously not read up on here!!) so sadly has no trees or anything but a LOT of pasture. In the middle is one of those walk in triangle top metal frame things and at one end it is covered 3 sides with roost bars and nesting boxes but all open. I also saw an old thread on here with an english lady living in my area who also had a open coop. I'm not sure I'd be happy in just below freezing (all it ever gets most years) leaving my girls out so will always have a proper coop. Sorry off topic the other way!!

I don’t have a “coop and run”
Which made me go along my thinking above! I love your set up - it is gorgeous!!!

View attachment 1633767 View attachment 1633768 View attachment 1633764 View attachment 1633765

Love your 'littles' and your set up. So bright in there and all those luscious leaves to scratch through. :love

I love that!

See I could actually go the way of just run no real coop I think - a guy down the road has the most lovely looking / safe set up with high safe fences and in the middle of the huge paddock (which OK he is an old French dude and obviously not read up on here!!) so sadly has no trees or anything but a LOT of pasture. In the middle is one of those walk in triangle top metal frame things and at one end it is covered 3 sides with roost bars and nesting boxes but all open. I also saw an old thread on here with an english lady living in my area who also had a open coop. I'm not sure I'd be happy in just below freezing (all it ever gets most years) leaving my girls out so will always have a proper coop. Sorry off topic the other way!!

Which made me go along my thinking above! I love your set up - it is gorgeous!!!

Love your 'littles' and your set up. So bright in there and all those luscious leaves to scratch through. :love
Thank you I like it too. Me and my husband had miscommunication about the design, I wanted a Woods style coop but all is well because it’s functional and this way I have options to divide things up if I choose.

Thank you I like it too. Me and my husband had miscommunication about the design, I wanted a Woods style coop but all is well because it’s functional and this way I have options to divide things up if I choose.
You got some of the 'woods style' with all your leaves for sure and then you always have the option you mentioned of dividing! I think despite the miscommunication, you have a lovely set up. :ya

Back
Top Bottom