Do chicks get constipated?

My baby roo was obviously constipated on several occasions. He would strain, then eventually go a bit, then even peck around at his vent to try to get some relief. I started giving yogurt every day or two and haven't seen the problem lately. I don't know if that actually helped or not. His poo seemed drier than the others, and I also wondered if he just might not be drinking enough for some reason. He is taller than the pullets so I also changed the waterer I was using and put it up on a block of wood so it would be easier to drink from. Good luck.

Today there is still no change. her bottom looks all wet from me putting vaseline on her bum but she basically looks the same. I will continue to give her drops of molasses water. I have been giving her droppers of regular water with the electrolyte so she stays hydrated. I tried giving her yougurt too but she wasnt interested. I would put her beak in it and she would shake her head and wipe it off on the floor.

It sounds like you're doing things right, though the staggering part doesn't sound good.
sad.png
I've had one that's struggled more with pasty butt than the others and is active but much smaller. You're giving multivitamins without iron, right? It's the iron in people vitamins that causes constipation.

Quote:
give them some building sand, (grit) not with calicum though. we went through the same thing. was were told to use, molasses, yogart, and the others you mentioned. the best thing we did was to give them some sand. we started the sand when they were about 3 days old. now we keep a disposible 9x12 foil pan full all the time. they are almost 6 weeks old now and just love the sand. they will roll and take a dust bath as well as eating a little. try the sand and see how it works, don't think you will go wrong.

The only suplement I have given them was the electrolyte. Its made for chickens and had vitamins and probiotic bacteria in it. I didnt see any iron on the package.

I do have some parakeet grit would that be ok? I also have some sand in my kids sand box......should I give them that? Maybe clean it in some water first?

in the meantime I went outside and got some play sand. cleaned it out and washed it. I have it in the oven now baking to dry it out and kill anything living in it.

For grit, I used fine material washed out along the edge of a driveway, with rock up to 1/2 pea size, rinsing thoroughly to make sure no salt or oil. I also got a nice mix of tiny gravel from an open bag of cement, thoroughly rinsed. The chicks seem to eat the pieces that are sized appropriately for their beaks.

The play sand is okay just like it is. No need to wash it and bake it. Play sand and contractor's sand contain prebiotics, which helps prevent pasty butt. Parakeet grit is not okay. Any sandy dirt from outside with small gravel in it is okay to give them, as long as it doesn't come from a place where lawn chemicals have been applied. You can buy chick grit and that is what is best for them until they go outside.

why is the parakeet grit not ok?

I put some of the sand in, they seemed to not know what to do at first. I put my sickly chick in there. She has been swallowing the sand down. So far the only time she has left was when another chick jumped it. It didnt take long for them to figure it out.

Its kinda like the pool opened for the first time of the summer and they are all yelling COWABUNGA! and are all doing cannonballs into the pool.

I wanted to bake the sand because its been outside and in their sandbox. Sometimes they leave the lid off and a bunch of water or cats poop in it... you never know. I dont know if there would be any parasites or mildew or anything in the sand so I wanted to play it safe.

Back
Top Bottom