Do chicks need grit when fed scrambled eggs?

SammaJamz

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2021
Hello, my chicks are almost 4 weeks old. One is significantly smaller than the rest. It is like she stopped growing. So I want to start giving them some scrambled eggs mostly to help the small one get more nutrients. So, the first time I gave some scrambled egg I also gave them chick grit. But they ate it all so fast! It seemed like too much too fast.

So I guess my questions are:
do they need grit if I give them scrambled eggs?
is there such thing as eating too much grit? Could that hurt them?
How much grit should I be giving at a time?

I personally would offer grit. Since it was new, they ate a lot, maybe provide less.
Have you tried making a mash out of their feed? My chicks always thought it was a treat but it was still their food, they always gobble it up.

You could have the opposite effect here... I wouldn’t give them scrambled egg at all, their chick food should have all the nutrients they need. They may fill up on egg and neglect their food... I never give chicks treats until it’s closer to forage time, around 8 weeks.

Scrambled eggs, no they shouldn't need grit.

I do offer grit to chicks, though I would also moderate how much they get (I wouldn't put out a large amount). They really don't need that much.

Thanks, everyone. I do make a mash out of their food too.
Any suggestions on helping the chick that is only 1/3 the size of the other chicks if not trying to help with scrambled eggs?

I personally would offer grit. Since it was new, they ate a lot, maybe provide less.
Have you tried making a mash out of their feed? My chicks always thought it was a treat but it was still their food, they always gobble it up.
I too make a mash for my 2 wk old chicks, they eat it all up. my concern is that the moist food may make runny stool? They really love the 'mash' and attack it until its all gobbled up.

You could have the opposite effect here... I wouldn’t give them scrambled egg at all, their chick food should have all the nutrients they need. They may fill up on egg and neglect their food... I never give chicks treats until it’s closer to forage time, around 8 weeks.

I agree. Our chicks always eat Starter Feed until about 4 months of age. The only time they get anything different is if they're sick/injured or they're getting live mealworms as a treat.

Are the chicks getting probiotics and electrolytes?

We feed our chicks the Sav-A-Chic brand of those two items up until about 3 months of age, and we have few problems. As for Chic Grit, we've offered it, but they just don't eat it, and they're likely getting enough grit in them since we let them dust-bathe, forage, and eat off the sandy ground outside from an early age.

I just introduced my 4 day old chicks to some finely chopped lettuce and cucumbers and sprinkled a lite coating of Mana Pro chick grit over it. I introduced the grit after taking them outside yesterday. So far no troubles to report… they took about an hour to not be afraid of the bowl with the Greens.. but my wife snapped this pic just a few minutes ago

Attachments

• 5B4F5507-20C2-4AE8-B1E8-42036466B06A.jpeg
    5B4F5507-20C2-4AE8-B1E8-42036466B06A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37

Back
Top Bottom