Do chicks sing?

Mojo Chick'n :

My Dellie Brahma cross chicks sing all the time - it does sound like a canary
lau.gif

I'd never heard any of them sing until these ones I hatched out - didn't know if they were just weird or what.

meri

Yep, that's what my brahmas sounded like; a canary.​

I think mine are singing and they are Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
love.gif
Even if it's not singing, whatever sound they're making, it's adorable!! They are 6 days old!!

They seem so happy when they sing.
smile.png

I'm so glad that someone brought this up. I have heard a very melodical sound coming from my little girls too. Only every once in a while and can never figure out exactly who's doing the "singing"

One of my chicks in the brooder starts singing when the wild birds outside start singing. Last night and this morning, 2 of the ones in the bator started... not sure which ones though because every time I look at them, they start chirping to get out of the bator and quit singing.

Quote:
Yep, that's what my brahmas sounded like; a canary.

I think of all the chickens here, I like the brahmas the best. I'm getting some more of them (and a roo for them so the dellie roo can have dellie girls)

They are so funny and outgoing and friendly. I usually have to push them out of my way with my foot to get past them. If they are sitting in the nest, I go to get eggs and they just raise up a little and look at me like "hurry up, workin' here".

Most of mine are sort of muddy looking (but sweet, none the less), but this one hen is darn near perfect patterning, she is so pretty. I hope the new ones will look more like her.

Hi All -

I am new to chickens in that I am six weeks into raising my first batch of chicks... but I grew up around. I keep reading about "singing" in that like, for example, "a good show hen should sing" and now I read in here about singing chicks! I have no concept of what chicken/chick signing would sound like...

Does anyone know of a recording/video where I could see/hear it? It would be interesting to me.

Thanks!
~Lisa

The single best thing I love about my girls are the lovely sounds they make like singing and cooing, and purring, yes, purring.

The most prominent time to hear these sounds are when they are going to roost. I usually take a moment or two to sit outside their window at roosting time just to enjoy these endearing vocal languages.

I honestly haven't heard them make these sounds during the day. I'm not sure how you'd get a hen to sing on cue in the show ring! That's a new one to me.

Lisa I think I once saw a video recording on You Tube that was recorded with these sounds on a web cam....at roosting time. Maybe you could do a search?

Once heard, you'll seek out to hear these precious moments whenever you can!

All the stress and troubles of the day simply dissappear.
love.gif

Ma

eta: My hens all BO's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom