Do cochins go broody often?

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
Ok, so I am wanting some broody hens because hawks have eaten my broodies. I have heard cochins go broody frequently. Before I jump the gun and order some for spring, is this true? If you have cochins, would you say they go broody more than other breeds?

I'd have to check but thought they were known for it.

*edit, thought so
Cochin hens are inclined to broodiness and will hatch more than one batch per year if allowed. As a broody fowl, they have no equals. Even roosters will occasionally brood the chicks, though Cochins tend to wean the young a bit soon if used to hatch chicks early in the year while it’s still cold. They’re considered the best fowls for hatching and brooding ducks and turkeys. Because of the size of Cochins, be cautious of hens breaking thin-shelled eggs.[\quote]
https://livestockconservancy.org/heritage-breeds/heritage-breeds-list/cochin-chicken/

Last edited:
I think it depends. My bantam Cochins go broody like nothing, almost as much if not even more than my Silkies and Silkie mixes go broody. Some summers, I spend literal months trying to break them! My large fowl Cochins are less broody, though, and might only try to sit once or twice a year, tops.

Back
Top Bottom