Do Delaware roos develop slowly?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Schroeder, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Schroeder

Schroeder Songster

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    My 11 week olds were to include 1 Lakenvelder roo and 1 Delaware roo. The Lakenvelder has matured to a beautiful cockerel, and has begun to crow. I can't differentiate the Delaware roo and hen. I'm wondering if Delawares develop slowly or if I have 2 hens.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Depends. Generally, they are fast maturing. Hatchery line Delawares or breeder lines of Delawares? Where did you get them? You can tell you a rooster from a hen by their markings at that age. Just post some pics and I'm sure those with Dels can tell you.
    My breeder quality Delawares were crowing at nine weeks old and at 15 weeks old, they look like they're 20 weeks old.

Check out this thread of mine about my own at 11 Wks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181094

3. Schroeder

Schroeder Songster

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I like your photos. Mine now are 11 weeks old and show none of the rooster-like characteristics in your photos. I got them as day old chicks from Meyer's. I have 12 chickens, 7 different breeds, and the 2 Delawares are the sweetest of the bunch. Here are their pics from a couple of weeks ago. At least if they are both hens I won't have to decide between one of them and my beautiful Lakenvelder cockerel.
    [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

They look like girls to me.

5. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I agree with Cyn.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I think the one on the right has a larger comb. Have you got a side view?

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Crowing

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Those are girls, girl markings, girl faces, girl ankles and feet - the boys have screaming huge leg and ankle bones.

8. speckledhen

walkswithdog is correct, the markings are Del pullet markings. At that age, Del males have pretty large combs and they're bright red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: