Do duck get fowl pox?

samakap

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2022
Hey, I noticed scab on my Muscovy’s caruncle 2-3 weeks ago. I took her to the vet and they said that
1) They might be something scratch her face - (it’s is possible cause she sometimes scratches her face with the cage when she wants to come out. But, it’s weird that I’ve never seen it’s bleeding, it just becomes scab)
2) She might have fowl pox. The vet already give her a fowl pox vaccination. And she will get the second shot this Saturday.

Is this looks like fowl pox? And can Muscovy ducks get it? Im so confused right now

Attachments

• 264145AF-8FFE-43FF-BC36-1EF263DF927A.jpeg
    264145AF-8FFE-43FF-BC36-1EF263DF927A.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 76
  • 8C21C920-8C6B-45F7-8575-72C49CF57E0D.jpeg
    8C21C920-8C6B-45F7-8575-72C49CF57E0D.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 35
  • CE6821EA-F5B2-46D6-81AE-DB950C348B44.jpeg
    CE6821EA-F5B2-46D6-81AE-DB950C348B44.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 34
Yes, ducks can get fowl pox.
If the first shot "took," a small scab shouldve shown up on the skin where the injection was given, usually at the web wing. That's how you tell if the injection was successful. If it didnt "take," and your duck was exposed to fowl pox via an infected mosquito, then it's possible that she can be infected with fowl pox.
I've never owned ducks, but I have dealt with fowl pox in chickens. I've never seen fowl pox scabs bleed unless scratched or rubbed on something.

Yes, ducks can get fowl pox.
If the first shot "took," a small scab shouldve shown up on the skin where the injection was given, usually at the web wing. That's how you tell if the injection was successful. If it didnt "take," and your duck was exposed to fowl pox via an infected mosquito, then it's possible that she can be infected with fowl pox.
I've never owned ducks, but I have dealt with fowl pox in chickens. I've never seen fowl pox scabs bleed unless scratched or rubbed on something.
I’ll check on her wing. And does scab on my duck’s face look like fowl pox? And if it is how do you treat them from your experience? 🥺 Thank you

It looks like a mild case of fowl pox. I've never had chickens scrape or scratch themselves while caged causing injury.
You can put iodine on the scabs to dry them out, be sure to avoid the eyes when applying the iodine. If scabs form near her eyes, apply Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin in and around her eye (just a little) to prevent bacterial infection (from scratching her eye due to irritation.) Fowl pox is a virus and antibiotics are ineffective.
The disease will go away on its own in 4-6 weeks. Then she will be immune to fowl pox thereafter.

It looks like a mild case of fowl pox. I've never had chickens scrape or scratch themselves while caged causing injury.
You can put iodine on the scabs to dry them out, be sure to avoid the eyes when applying the iodine. If scabs form near her eyes, apply Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin in and around her eye (just a little) to prevent bacterial infection (from scratching her eye due to irritation.) Fowl pox is a virus and antibiotics are ineffective.
The disease will go away on its own in 4-6 weeks. Then she will be immune to fowl pox thereafter.
Thank you so much for your advice ☺️ I put iodine on the scabs and now it seems better now 👍🏽

Back
Top Bottom