Do ducks lay every day???

I'm still a duck newbie, but to my knowledge, it depends on the breed. (Good answer, eh? Hah!) We have Muscovies, which are mostly a seasonal layer, but I've read here on BYC there are some who have Muscovies who lay throughout the year (insert jealous aura here). We also have Anconas. We haven't had them for a full year yet, but they supposedly lay everyday, with a few weeks break during the colder season.

I'm sure someone more experienced will pop-in with more information for you, but I was here, so thought I'd get the ball started for you!

chickens dont lay every day either, they take breaks in a weekly laying cycle.

Our Khaki campbells lay better than any chicken could dream of. Our Silver Appleyards are an exceptional layer for a heavy weight breed.

Hi All,

This is my first year with ducks, but this is my experience so far. I have two welsh harlequin females and one buff female. The first one started laying on September 15th and the last one started laying on October 17th. Since October 17th I have gotten three eggs a day every day.

On ocassion my buff tries to lay two eggs a day. This has happened twice that I have found a egg without a shell in there kiddie pool at the end of the day.

This is a great question. I was wondering the same thing. My pekin started laying months ago for a week and then in the past 2 months only 2 eggs. Nothing has changed in 2 months, she seems happy and healthy, she is not molting. I just don't know what her issue is. I have 2 Rouen that haven't started laying yet. I hope they do soon.

I'm still a duck newbie, but to my knowledge, it depends on the breed. (Good answer, eh? Hah!) We have Muscovies, which are mostly a seasonal layer, but I've read here on BYC there are some who have Muscovies who lay throughout the year (insert jealous aura here). We also have Anconas. We haven't had them for a full year yet, but they supposedly lay everyday, with a few weeks break during the colder season.

I'm sure someone more experienced will pop-in with more information for you, but I was here, so thought I'd get the ball started for you!

Thank you, very helpful.

chickens dont lay every day either, they take breaks in a weekly laying cycle.

Our Khaki campbells lay better than any chicken could dream of. Our Silver Appleyards are an exceptional layer for a heavy weight breed.

I know chickens dont lay every day sorry, i just meant do ducks lay regularly like chickens. Sounds like a nice breed ill look into them. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi All,

This is my first year with ducks, but this is my experience so far. I have two welsh harlequin females and one buff female. The first one started laying on September 15th and the last one started laying on October 17th. Since October 17th I have gotten three eggs a day every day.

On ocassion my buff tries to lay two eggs a day. This has happened twice that I have found a egg without a shell in there kiddie pool at the end of the day.

Wow you've got your self some nice ducks there, i shall look into them.

I have 2 pekins and they lay every single day unless they're molting. I have no chickens but from what I've read about chickens, ducks do take quite a bit more work. I wouldn't trade my ducks for anything though.

Back
Top Bottom