Do eggs get bigger???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sassifrassi, Aug 30, 2011.

1. sassifrassi

sassifrassi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Toronto
    Got my first two eggs yesterday. They were kinda puny - like pigeon eggs. I have standard sex links. Will their eggs get bigger as they get older ??? (they are approx. 21 weeks)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Yes they do get bigger. My first were the size of robins eggs and now I am getting a medium chicken egg.

3. Whispering_Raven

Whispering_Raven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    Quote:Although I am new to raising chickens, our eggs have gotten noticeably larger and the shell is darker. Today we got a VERY large egg in comparison to the rest. Our chicks are about the same age as yours. Got them this past spring. Here's a pic of "The Biggun!" [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    my barred rock chicks came on on April 22 and I got my first two eggs today. Both were small and one of them had a paper thin shell. This is pretty normal. They do get bigger as they go along.

5. sassifrassi

Sep 22, 2010
    Toronto
    Oh good! My initial intention was not so much egg production, but to give my birds a good life. But jeezers - after all I spent..some normal sized eggs would be nice!!! Thanks for putting my mind to rest!

6. sassifrassi

Sep 22, 2010
    Toronto
    Quote:I had a gob of egg goo and a squashed rubber egg two days ago too! So far... 2 misfires and 2 small proper eggs. I will blow out the proper eggs and gold leaf them to remind me how much I spent getting this started!!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, they will gradually get larger over time. For most breeds, there will be another jump in egg size after their first adult molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by