Do eggs get bigger???

sassifrassi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 22, 2010
Toronto
Got my first two eggs yesterday. They were kinda puny - like pigeon eggs. I have standard sex links. Will their eggs get bigger as they get older ??? (they are approx. 21 weeks)

Last edited:

Whispering_Raven

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Ashland City, TN
Quote:
Although I am new to raising chickens, our eggs have gotten noticeably larger and the shell is darker. Today we got a VERY large egg in comparison to the rest. Our chicks are about the same age as yours. Got them this past spring. Here's a pic of "The Biggun!"
big_smile.png

99290_8-30-011_biggun.jpg

Blue Ridge Hillbilly

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
Western NC
my barred rock chicks came on on April 22 and I got my first two eggs today. Both were small and one of them had a paper thin shell. This is pretty normal. They do get bigger as they go along.

sassifrassi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 22, 2010
Toronto
Oh good! My initial intention was not so much egg production, but to give my birds a good life. But jeezers - after all I spent..some normal sized eggs would be nice!!! Thanks for putting my mind to rest!

sassifrassi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 22, 2010
Toronto
Quote:
I had a gob of egg goo and a squashed rubber egg two days ago too! So far... 2 misfires and 2 small proper eggs. I will blow out the proper eggs and gold leaf them to remind me how much I spent getting this started!!

Top Bottom