Do eggs have to be small side down? and some more new questions

SophieLain127

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Can they lay on their side? Just lay straight down in the bator the whole time?

added
When rotating eggs do I just flip them over or do I just roll them from side to side?

I was thinking of making a turner so I wouldn't have to open the bator. But if I lay them on their side I need some cushion between them. Can I put some type of bedding down to lay them in? Then remove it the day before lock down?

Is there a reason why so many people shield the light in their incubators? Does it diffuse the heat?

Last edited:
Best is to put them at an angle, sharp side pointing downwards. The eggs air sack is at the top of the egg, this is where the chicken will pip the egg when it hatches.

What I have done is bend the wire flooring ever so slightly to hold them pointed ends down just a bit. My first hatch I just tilted them as best I could and I had a 50% hatch. As for turning the instructions of my incu say. " turn eggs 2-3 times a day. With a pencil, mark an X on one side and an O onthe opposite sid of the egg. Turn all eggs so the X appear face up. Next turning period turn all O's facing up. Alternate this routine each turning until 3 days before eggs are due to hatch. Don't just roll them over and over but back and forth.

All the best
Rancher

I was just trying to replicate the conditions a hen would.

So is the point of a shield over the bulb to diffuse the heat evenly?

Can I flip them to three different positions instead of two? This is my second try at this my first was awful and I'm just trying to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom