DO F1 SILKIE CROSSES ALWAYS HAVE 5 TOES? APPARENTLY NOT!

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
I just hatched 2 silkie cross chicks. I am 117% sure who the parents are. My white silkie cockerel that I hatched from a breeder's eggs this past Spring crossed with a black Olive egger, that is half Ameraucana and half BCM.
I expected the chicks to all have 5 toes, it is what I have learned since joining BYC. I thought that 5 toes was a dominant trait. I was surprised to see that one of the chicks has 4 toes on each foot and the other has 5 toes on each foot. Both are black with dark legs, the 5 toed one is solid black like silkie chicks, the 4 toed one has the white under the neck like other breeds. Both have feathered legs (the mother has feathered legs, too). Both have the black silkie eyes (mother's are BCM orange) and black beaks (the 4 toed one has a pink tip). I have several more due to hatch tomorrow and in the next week or so (staggered). Curious if I get more with the 4 toes or if this is a fluke. Any thoughts? 😊

Interestingly enough all the other chicks that have hatched so far have 5 toes. The first one is the only one that has four and looks more like a Marans than the other chicks do.
😊

a few years ago a friend of mine hatched a silkie with 4 toes (from his own birds). he had silkies for years and had never noticed any silkies with 4 toes :idunno

Back
Top Bottom