Do hens attack?

Ccandchickens

Hatching
Sep 20, 2023
I was in the yard and our flock was playing. I called them and they all came running into the run but two. I went to encourage the two to come to the run and one of the hens came out of nowhere and ran up on me! Scared me! Then it wouldn’t let me pass it. Now my hens are all about 4 months so I’m not sure if this might be a rooster. It’s an amercauna if that helps at all. So? Do you think this is a rooster? Additionally. My friend hatched 9 eggs and demands all 9 are hens 🤦🏻‍♀️. Is this even a thing? Thanks so much for your insight. I am super new to chicken life!!

Attachments

• IMG_1342.png
    IMG_1342.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1343.jpeg
    IMG_1343.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
That's a hen. She was probably just hoping for treats and expecting them to fall any moment.
Hens can be rather silly sometimes, like I often have trouble getting through the gate at scratch time because they don't realize they need to back up for it to swing in, even though we do the same dance every single day, lol.

My Ameraucana tend to be the curious, bold sort of chicken. It makes them friendly although it's probably 100% food motivated.

True aggression can happen in hens, but it's not common.
If the behavior makes you uncomfortable, the best first step is to stop feeding treats. See how that affects things.

It's probably "hormones" & pullets/hens do get moody. As for your friend that just hatch 9 eggs deemed pullets/females, unless they're sex linked and/or she's gifted, you really can't be certain. Update us on that ...

Back
Top Bottom