New and don’t know hens from roosters

NewKm

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2023
Hey All! I’m new to the backyard chickens, and I’ve got to say it’s been awesome! One of my hens is already laying which has been such a sweet feeling. I have 6 chickens total. Any idea which are hens and roosters? Also, can you guys give me insight on how to differentiate? Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0245.png
    IMG_0245.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    999.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    830.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0252.jpeg
    IMG_0252.jpeg
    804.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    932.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0258.jpeg
    IMG_0258.jpeg
    930.2 KB · Views: 17
Hello, and welcome to BYC. All birds pictured are pullets. Unless there is another bird, feather damage is due to feather pecking/plucking.
Thanks, That’s helpful! We actually had one that was being a bit of a bully, but we got all that situated, no more feather damage thankfully. These pictures are from a week or two ago.

Any idea which are hens and roosters? Also, can you guys give me insight on how to differentiate?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree, all are pullets (not technically hens until one year old).. at or by this age they will be sporting gender specific (rounded or pointy) saddle feathers. Example pics from google..
1701531778704.png

1701531812924.png

Regarding breeds.. I think you might have.. 2 gold/red sex links, a silver laced Wyandotte, a white Plymouth Rock, and 2 Easter Eggers in the bottom two pics.

Lovely ladies! :love

Differentiating between Roos and Hens as far as visuals will be some of these.. there are exceptions in all types. These are just tips to help.

Usually Roos are much bigger than Hens in some breeds of standard sized chickens. Not so much in the bantam smaller breeds.
Roosters will normally have bigger combs and wattles starting at an early age and then on.
Roosters are sometimes the more colorful in some breeds. Almost like nature wild birds.. examples like Cardinal and Finch males are more colorful than the duller females.
Roosters will normally have longer thinner hackle, saddle and tail feathers that are pointed where hens are rounded.
Obviously the Roosters will have their crow and dominance behavior but some hens exhibit this also on occasion. Usually more bold and daring at a young age.

Obviously these are not all true in some breeds but if you Google a certain breed and look at images you'll quickly notice/learn the differences between males and females of that particular breed.
Here's my Black Copper Marans as an easy example. The hens only have copper in their cape or hackle (neck) where the rooster is more colored thru out. And he has longer pointed hackle and saddle (just before tail) and his tail feathers are longer also. Also notice his comb and waddles are much bigger. He also has the flock leader/ ruler of my domain stature about him. Always watching over his ladies.
20230903_171517.jpg
20230702_202610.jpg
IMG_20230701_130759.jpg
IMG_20230701_131256.jpg

Hopefully some of this is helpful for you. Others will add to this I'm sure.
Also to help for posting reference.

Males under 1 year old are called cockerels, over 1 year old are roosters.
Females under 1 year old are called pullets, over 1 year old are hens.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree, all are pullets (not technically hens until one year old).. at or by this age they will be sporting gender specific (rounded or pointy) saddle feathers. Example pics from google..
View attachment 3696247
View attachment 3696248
Regarding breeds.. I think you might have.. 2 gold/red sex links, a silver laced Wyandotte, a white Plymouth Rock, and 2 Easter Eggers in the bottom two pics.

Lovely ladies! :love
Thanks this is very helpful! I appreciate all this insight a ton!

Differentiating between Roos and Hens as far as visuals will be some of these.. there are exceptions in all types. These are just tips to help.

Usually Roos are much bigger than Hens in some breeds of standard sized chickens. Not so much in the bantam smaller breeds.
Roosters will normally have bigger combs and wattles starting at an early age and then on.
Roosters are sometimes the more colorful in some breeds. Almost like nature wild birds.. examples like Cardinal and Finch males are more colorful than the duller females.
Roosters will normally have longer thinner hackle, saddle and tail feathers that are pointed where hens are rounded.
Obviously the Roosters will have their crow and dominance behavior but some hens exhibit this also on occasion. Usually more bold and daring at a young age.

Obviously these are not all true in some breeds but if you Google a certain breed and look at images you'll quickly notice/learn the differences between males and females of that particular breed.
Here's my Black Copper Marans as an easy example. The hens only have copper in their cape or hackle (neck) where the rooster is more colored thru out. And he has longer pointed hackle and saddle (just before tail) and his tail feathers are longer also. Also notice his comb and waddles are much bigger. He also has the flock leader/ ruler of my domain stature about him. Always watching over his ladies.
View attachment 3696256View attachment 3696255View attachment 3696252View attachment 3696253

Hopefully some of this is helpful for you. Others will add to this I'm sure.
Also to help for posting reference.

Males under 1 year old are called cockerels, over 1 year old are roosters.
Females under 1 year old are called pullets, over 1 year old are hens.
Thank you! This is super insightful.

Back
Top Bottom