Do Hens Know?

Hens can lay fertile eggs for up to four or even six weeks after mating with a rooster. Hens can store the rooster's sperm, a rooster doesn't have to mate with a hen everyday to have fertile eggs.

I have one I've called a hussy once or twice. She routinely approaches a roo (she doesn't seem to care which) and squats and waits to be mated, evidently. She's the only one I have with any sign of mating on her back; no bare spots, just some raggedy looking feathers.

yuckyuck.gif
all the posts are so funny.
lau.gif

Quote:
Yep, how do you think Jezebel got her name?
wink.png

True story - My hen Jezebel was originally called Fatty Patty, but Patty is DH's ex-wife's name, so he requested I change it. Said he didn't like hearing me call that name all the time. I said fine! I'll call her Jezebel. He said that name reminded him of his ex-wife, too.
lol.png

My best layer, my RIR Alabama would not let my roo Bill mate her for ages. Then one day I was outside and she was getting some Cheerios from me and she ran over to Bill, squatted and he hopped on! I was in shock! If the girls see Bill out of the corner of their eyes "sneaking" up on them, they will squat before he tries to mount.

Back
Top Bottom