Do hens typically lay their eggs in the a.m.??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mispollitos, Jan 28, 2011.

1. mispollitos

mispollitos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    I want to open the door and hope she's laid her egg. Do hens typically lay their eggs in the a.m., early a.m., or at sunrise??? Probably a silly question but this is her first a.m. here & my 1st egg!!

2. Audry

Audry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    Mine lay them all times of the day

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:x2. I have to pick up eggs a couple of times a day because they lay at different times.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If I understand a hen's cycle correctly, some strains/breeds are on a 28 (or longer) hour cycle, which means, when she is at her peak, her time keeps rotating.

There are a few, layer types, developed for commercial use, whose cycle is only 24 hours, which keeps them rotating for lay in the morning, every morning. This is a genetic disposition by breed and strain.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My newest layer seems to be an "early bird," but my girls lay all the way through late afternoon...

6. mispollitos

mispollitos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    I'm hoping she'll lay in the nesting box...I opened the door and there was only poop in the box w/a golf ball in place. I suppose I can leave the hen & rooster in the tractor until this evening...hoping she'll get the hint. Or will the rooster be a distraction? I can let the rooster out to free range if she needs privacy. idk I don't want her to lay in the yard.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

So has she laid an egg yet? And is she new to the coop?? If she's a new bird, it could be a few weeks, as chickens have a hard time adapting to change.

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Most of mine lay noonish. Though I do have a 5 oclock layer too. I pick up eggs when I close up coop. By then they are done.

9. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    My 3 aren't early morning layers, but by noon, I usually have 1-2 eggs, and then I have one girl that usually lays right after lunch. They kind of keep the same schedule, thank goodness, because God forbid somebody is hogging the nest when someone else has gotta lay!! The racket that ensues is quite funny! I didn't know chickens could curse! I have multiple nests, but they all like the same one.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Once they've been laying for a month or so in the nests, they should return to lay pretty dependably. Mine generally free range but return to the coop to lay. I get most of my eggs by noon but it's not unusual to find one or two around 4 PM. It would seem I have some on a 24 hour cycle and some on a little longer one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by