Do hens use the Egg Song as a warning call too?

Pinger05

Chirping
Dec 29, 2019
Altoona PA area
Today while spending the morning with the flock an ultralight flew over the farm. At first I didn't notice the aircraft but one of my hens saw it and started her egg-laying song. The roo heard her and repeated the song for everyone else. Attached is a video of the encounter. You can hear the ultralights motor.

Is it normal for the ladies and the roo to use the egg song as their alert?

Today while spending the morning with the flock an ultralight flew over the farm. At first I didn't notice the aircraft but one of my hens saw it and started her egg-laying song. The roo heard her and repeated the song for everyone else. Attached is a video of the encounter. You can hear the ultralights motor.

Is it normal for the ladies and the roo to use the egg song as their alert?
Mine will use it before laying sometimes, after laying sometimes, as a warning sometimes, and when they are mad about something. Lol

Mine use it as a warning, if they’ve finished laying an egg, if they can’t find any other chickens, if another hen is trying to enter the nesting box she’s in, or if they’re bored and feel like causing general havoc in the coop because it gets the roosters going too :p
Yep! Lol. My Rhode island red will do it for about an hour if another chicken is in her laying box. Pisses her right off.

Mine use it as a warning, if they’ve finished laying an egg, if they can’t find any other chickens, if another hen is trying to enter the nesting box she’s in, or if they’re bored and feel like causing general havoc in the coop because it gets the roosters going too :p
I have seen the ladies use if if they are 'lost' or if they see something new. So far they have not used it to tell me they laid an egg.

Back
Top Bottom