Do I have a roo???

Auntx23

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
Hello chicken lovers!
ya.gif
I am new to the wonderful world of feathered friends. In March I got 2 black sexlink, 3 buff orpingtons, 2 Auracanas and 2 red australops. I am concerned one of the sexlinks may be a roo. The comb is very prominent, it recently has crowed a couple of times but no spurs... Please help I dont want a "freezer coop" if I dont have to.

I got all my chicks at family owned hatchery, and they said the sexlinks are a cross of barred rock and rhode island red.

Please help me
he.gif

102572_100_5805.jpg

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
It does look like you have a roo based on its comb/wattles, tail feathers, and crowing. He is beautiful, but he definitely isn't a sexlink pullet.

that is an Australorp roo...

68634_dsc_0049-2.jpg

(here is a shot of one of mine from last year)

Here is what a BSL pullet looks like:

68634_dsc_0114-3.jpg

68634_dsc_0307.jpg

(these are my 2 girls...)

OH NO I knew it before I asked. I cant keep him either (City codes) The hatchery said they would replace it with another sexlink. But it would be a chick AND I dont know how to introduce without there being a issue. Any suggestions on how old before you can introduce and how?

Last edited:
Quote:
i love the first pullet so much gold my sexlinks are mostly black and a little gold with shades of green

she is one of my sweetest too, runs up to me to be picked up and petted....

Quote:
I have 3 8 week olds, trying to introduce them to my 18 week olds...I started with a cage inside the coop when they feathered out, 5-6 weeks...now I am letting them mingle, the older girls go after them, but that is normal. They are getting used to them, and the little ones know where to go for safety...it is not easy...not sure I would do it again...

Back
Top Bottom