Do I have a roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Auntx23, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Auntx23

Auntx23 New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    Hello chicken lovers! [​IMG] I am new to the wonderful world of feathered friends. In March I got 2 black sexlink, 3 buff orpingtons, 2 Auracanas and 2 red australops. I am concerned one of the sexlinks may be a roo. The comb is very prominent, it recently has crowed a couple of times but no spurs... Please help I dont want a "freezer coop" if I dont have to.

I got all my chicks at family owned hatchery, and they said the sexlinks are a cross of barred rock and rhode island red.

Please help me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG] It does look like you have a roo based on its comb/wattles, tail feathers, and crowing. He is beautiful, but he definitely isn't a sexlink pullet.

3. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sorry but I see saddle feathers [​IMG] he is very handsome. I hope you can keep him.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    that is an Australorp roo...

[​IMG]
    (here is a shot of one of mine from last year)

Here is what a BSL pullet looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (these are my 2 girls...)

5. Auntx23

Auntx23 New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    OH NO I knew it before I asked. I cant keep him either (City codes) The hatchery said they would replace it with another sexlink. But it would be a chick AND I dont know how to introduce without there being a issue. Any suggestions on how old before you can introduce and how?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  6. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    they have to be close to the same size to introduce the new chick to the flock

7. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:i love the first pullet so much gold my sexlinks are mostly black and a little gold with shades of green

8. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:i love the first pullet so much gold my sexlinks are mostly black and a little gold with shades of green

she is one of my sweetest too, runs up to me to be picked up and petted....

9. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I have 3 8 week olds, trying to introduce them to my 18 week olds...I started with a cage inside the coop when they feathered out, 5-6 weeks...now I am letting them mingle, the older girls go after them, but that is normal. They are getting used to them, and the little ones know where to go for safety...it is not easy...not sure I would do it again...

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    A rooster for sure, but not a black sex link. Black sex link males are barred. Likely an australorp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by