do i have all of the right information on quail

shanezoobuild

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2015
quail
I’m designing a community farm and I was wondering if you could read over my care sheet and tell me if there’s any wrong information or things you would do differently.

Write up

Quail
Cost

Egg cost 1.25
Chick cost 5
Full grown cost 25
1-6 week feed amount .13 pounds
6-8 week amount .25 pounds
8week-1 year feed amount .75 pounds per month

Special care
Females always need calcium
Temperament
Skittish, males will fight without breeding

Enclosure

Size
1 square foot each
Height
12 inches
Fence type
Small wire
Shelter
Small box with opening and ventilation
Equipment
Food, water, grit and calcium dish
Terrain
Straw
Diet
Feed type

Maintainer for mixed flock, layer for egg flock
Amount
Full dish
Minerals/other
grit
Breeding

Ratio

1-4
Season
Yearly with 14 hour lighting
Diet
Maintainer, added calcium dish
Eggs

Clutch size and numbers per year

Yearly
Collecting time
Morning, 5 times a day outside in winter
Storing
7 days, room temperature, 70 humidity
Hatch time
18 days
Hatch gender
50/50
Incubation temp
100 f
Humidity
50 %,
Candling
2 times, every 7 days
Stop turning
Lock down
65-70
Move to brooder
Dry
Brooder
Size

1 sf
Height
12 inches
Temperature decreasing

Feed type length
Chick starter 6 weeks
Water dishes
Marbles in dishes
Special nutrients

Grow out pen

Size

1 sf
Height
12 inches
Feed type length
Turkey starter 8 weeks
Butcher

Butcher age

8 weeks

Ok i dunno what the prices are im guessing per dozen on the eggs and all. I have no idea about how much they eat i just filled mines dishes when they seemed low. They dont need grit commercial food is water soluble the hens dont need calcium all the time i raised mine on 100% purina gamebird starter nothing else. Breeding ratio id go 1/6 atleast cause those little roosters run the hens ragged. Storing eggs ive always heard 55 degrees at 60 humidity i always put mine in the fridge door ill save up 2 weeks worth but everybody does it different. I never pay attention to humidity when incubating only time i pay it attention is day 15 i get it to 55 or 60% i also never candle my eggs if they hatch they hatch if not eh. They dont explode like chicken eggs or ive never had them to maybe somebody else has. My brooder is a big rubbermaid container my cage is 6'x3'x18" with 1/2" harware cloth bottom and a large sand bath i added straw once it stayed wet and nasty so never done that again but again everybodys different. I never put marbles or rocks in the waterers i use the smaller bitty waterers. The simpler you make it without trying to keep up with numbers and different feeds its more enjoyable but i only raised for meat and eggs.

-Prices change with location
-Im guessing this is for Coturnix quail (Coturnix japonica)
-I have a hen that is 2 1/2 years old, she is still laying and breeding. My friend claims he has a 5 year old roo.
-Humidity changes for lock down
-I always have incubation temp at 99.8-99.9 but this also changes with incubator type
-How are you going to raise them? Wire? Flight? Aviary?
-I have a cage height of 2 1/2 feet, no injuries so far. (used it for over a year now) my other cage is 2' and still no injuries.
hu.gif

-Brooder and Grow-out pen also change with # of chicks
-Color? If you choose a wild color or golden, males have yellow/orange chests, hens have speckled chests
(if you get white, tuxedos, or another color, its best to have leg markers of some kind to Identify sexes)

Back
Top Bottom