Do I have hens or a big problem?

I understand feeling discouraged. What I would suggest is that when you want to get into something such as a breed where misrepresentations are a known factor it is doubly important to educate yourself on the specific characteristics you do and do not want to see in birds being presented as representatives of their breed. While it would be wonderful to be able to believe that everyone in the world is an honest person when it comes to what they are selling, that is not the truth and it is to our benefit to be informed consumers to protect ourselves.

I'm only new to,this chicken thing myself, but don't you think it's a bit harsh to just let the cats have the chickens?? Surely it's not their fault that you've been screwed over and not researched properly?

Don't let one crooked breeder turn you away from keeping chickens if you really enjoy keeping chickens. You've already paid for them (even though it was more than you should have), so go ahead and enjoy them and the benefit of their eggs. There's nothing wrong with Easter Eggers. They typically outlay true Ameraucanas and they are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. :eek:)

X 2 - regarding the disposal of the birds if you do go that route, what you do is your business, of course, but if you are going to "let the cats have them" I hope that is after you have humanely dispatched them.

If it makes you feel better, True Ameraucana chicks go for about $20. Random colored hatchery Easter Eggers go for about $3. You only paid a few more dollars to get the colors you wanted.

I'm only new to,this chicken thing myself, but don't you think it's a bit harsh to just let the cats have the chickens?? Surely it's not their fault that you've been screwed over and not researched properly?
I am sorry I said that, but havent you ever said anything out of utter frustration. I am a vegetarian. I would never kill an animal. I have a mean white mouse with pink eyes that my daughter insisted on buying with her birthday money. She forgot about it after a week. Now this little mouse in a cage sits in my bathroom because it is the only place safe from my cats. Everyone tells me to let it go but I know it would be eaten rather quickly. So I just take care of it and will till it dies.

That is my biggest problem with ending up with a bunch of roosters. I cannot kill them. I will have to find new homes for them.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think I see 2-3 cockerels, possibly more. And they are definitely Easter Eggers (though they come much closer to the Ameraucana standard than many EEs do).

Back
Top Bottom