Do I have three roosters?

Rena

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
Colorado
My little hen hatched these babies 5 weeks ago. I could try to guess what breeds they are but I don't know for sure (they all came from light brown eggs). Either way they are mixes. I'm suspecting I had bad luck and all three are roosters! The black one with the white lacing is one I'm least sure about. Are any experts willing to weigh in?

Thanks!

Looks like you have a Wyandotte somewhere?

The lightest one is the only one that hits me as possibly a roo. Rose and mixed combs are harder to tell, they're not as bold as straight combed boys are at this age. Maybe post again in 4is weeks?

Cute set of chicks, really like the color on the middle one, that lacy effect is pretty. Agree that the lightest one is the only one that really says rooster right now, a couple more weeks will really help. Do you have any idea what the possible parents are? With the comb, Wyandottes are popular, and maybe some black breed?

My best guess is that the moms (at least some) were Dominiques. Dad could have been a Wyandotte- there aren't any Wyandotte hens though.

I appreciate the input! With most of my past chickens I could tell at this age, but these combs are making it much harder.

I'm thinking not Doms for the mommas, other wise you'd have sex linked babies and those guys don't look like it. Did any of them have a white spot on it's head at hatch? If so, those would be your boys, from a Dom momma.

Back
Top Bottom