Do I have three roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rena, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Rena

Rena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Colorado
    My little hen hatched these babies 5 weeks ago. I could try to guess what breeds they are but I don't know for sure (they all came from light brown eggs). Either way they are mixes. I'm suspecting I had bad luck and all three are roosters! The black one with the white lacing is one I'm least sure about. Are any experts willing to weigh in?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like you have a Wyandotte somewhere?

The lightest one is the only one that hits me as possibly a roo. Rose and mixed combs are harder to tell, they're not as bold as straight combed boys are at this age. Maybe post again in 4is weeks?

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Cute set of chicks, really like the color on the middle one, that lacy effect is pretty. Agree that the lightest one is the only one that really says rooster right now, a couple more weeks will really help. Do you have any idea what the possible parents are? With the comb, Wyandottes are popular, and maybe some black breed?

4. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    I think it is too soon to tell, but none of them really look like an obvious roo right now.

5. Rena

Rena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Colorado
    My best guess is that the moms (at least some) were Dominiques. Dad could have been a Wyandotte- there aren't any Wyandotte hens though.

I appreciate the input! With most of my past chickens I could tell at this age, but these combs are making it much harder.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking not Doms for the mommas, other wise you'd have sex linked babies and those guys don't look like it. Did any of them have a white spot on it's head at hatch? If so, those would be your boys, from a Dom momma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by