Do I need a rooster?

Marrrs

Chirping
Sep 10, 2021
My father in law says I need a rooster to encourage egg laying. However I don’t want chicks, at this moment, as I am a new hen mom. I am still learning the ins and outs.

Any tips, tricks, etc are highly appreciated as well as corrective criticism. I want to keep them as healthy and happy as possible.

also, my husband bought me these girls as chicks but he didn’t look to see what kind they are. Any help on their breed would be amazing.
The eggs in the pic are diff any idea whom they’d be from. I am going to install a camera because I have no clue as to who is laying. Is there a way to tell?

thanks!

521DEB2C-2BEC-485C-B893-A1AFB43EFB72.jpeg

Attachments

• C0FED3DB-30B4-428D-9F55-26ABECC95863.jpeg
    C0FED3DB-30B4-428D-9F55-26ABECC95863.jpeg
    907.7 KB · Views: 13
  • C86E90AC-D4B6-42E3-8E8B-9253FD66E7F4.jpeg
    C86E90AC-D4B6-42E3-8E8B-9253FD66E7F4.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 289C722B-8F7A-4122-88C8-D888885E9DB5.jpeg
    289C722B-8F7A-4122-88C8-D888885E9DB5.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 14
My father in law says I need a rooster to encourage egg laying. However I don’t want chicks, at this moment, as I am a new hen mom. I am still learning the ins and outs.

Any tips, tricks, etc are highly appreciated as well as corrective criticism. I want to keep them as healthy and happy as possible.

also, my husband bought me these girls as chicks but he didn’t look to see what kind they are. Any help on their breed would be amazing.
The eggs in the pic are diff any idea whom they’d be from. I am going to install a camera because I have no clue as to who is laying. Is there a way to tell?

thanks!

View attachment 2829496
I’m not an expert, but they look like Buff Orpingtons (tan), Australorps (Black), and the white one could be a CA white or Austra white or Leghorn. I forgot to look at the leg color and now I can’t scroll back. 😬

Ok, looked back. I’m not sure about the white. It looks like the white one with her head down is tan on her neck?

Also, I have eight girls and no boys - they lay just fine...I know people like roosters if they free range or want chicks, but I’d probably end up with one that took all the feathers off my girls‘ backs or tried to attack me. I’m good with girls for now.

I’m not an expert, but they look like Buff Orpingtons (tan), Australorps (Black), and the white one could be a CA white or Austra white or Leghorn. I forgot to look at the leg color and now I can’t scroll back. 😬

Ok, looked back. I’m not sure about the white. It looks like the white one with her head down is tan on her neck?

Also, I have eight girls and no boys - they lay just fine...I know people like roosters if they free range or want chicks, but I’d probably end up with one that took all the feathers off my girls‘ backs or tried to attack me. I’m good with girls for now.
Yes the other ones I researched and agree with you on. The whites have me stumped. And the white ones are so dirty they’re looking brown but they’re plain pure white. Can I bathe them?

You don't need a rooster. Roosters can be nice to have for a lot of reasons (A lot of them personal preference), but the hens don't need them to lay eggs.
Thank you. From research I thought the same. And he keeps telling me they do. My father who raised chicks says doesn’t. So I’m like which one is it guys.

Back
Top Bottom