Do I need a run attached to my coop?

Raubkatze

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2021
SW MI
My last group of chickens were kept in old dog runs that I modified for their use, this time around we plan to allow them to free range in our yard to (hopefully) help with our tick problem. If they will be mostly free range except for in bad weather, do they need a run attached to their coop?

All of my coops also have attached runs, although with the exception of two coops, the chickens "free range" in the yard -- but only when I am home during the day.

I believe in the oft-quoted truism: Everything wants to eat your chickens. I feel like my poultry benefits from having both the extra space and added protection of an attached run when I'm not able to keep an eye on them. This is especially the case after I spot a bald eagle from a nearby nest.

All of my coops also have attached runs, although with the exception of two coops, the chickens "free range" in the yard -- but only when I am home during the day.

I believe in the oft-quoted truism: Everything wants to eat your chickens. I feel like my poultry benefits from having both the extra space and added protection of an attached run when I'm not able to keep an eye on them. This is especially the case after I spot a bald eagle from a nearby nest.
I work from home, so keeping an eye on them while they are out during the day shouldn’t be a problem. We do have hawks and owls, but I think our biggest problem is going to be nocturnal predators such as foxes. That’s what got my last flock.

Working from home won't help. A hawk attack happens in seconds, and can happen right under your nose even if you are standing right there with your chickens! By the time you notice it, leave the house, and run over to the chickens, the hawk will be long gone with your chicken. If you want to free range all the time and not have a protected run, prepare to lose chickens (often).

If you're willing to take some losses, no a run is not required unless local ordinances require that the chickens remain securely confined.

That said, even for those who consistently free range, a run is still a good idea "just in case," as it gives you options if you happen to have heavy predator activity at the moment or need to be away from the house for any length of time.

My last group of chickens were kept in old dog runs that I modified for their use, this time around we plan to allow them to free range in our yard to (hopefully) help with our tick problem. If they will be mostly free range except for in bad weather, do they need a run attached to their coop?
No but it is better to have it for times when

• Friends come over and bring their dogs.
  • Hawks and other flying predators are seen in the area.
  • When you need to mow the lawn
  • If you need to have a party
  • Basically whenever you need to keep them inside and protected but not all bunched up and irritated in the coop itself.

Back
Top Bottom