Do I need food/water in the coop and the pen

draaron5

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
I am new to chickens and have been moving the food/water out to the pen each morning when I open their door and then returning the food/water inside the coop each night. Do I have to do that? Can I just keep the food in the coop and none in the pen or vise versa. Do they need the food in the coop overnight. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

My chickens free range. I keep food in the coop and water inside and out.
If they happen to be by the coop during the day they'll hop inside for a bite or two from the feeders. The girls always grab a bite to eat after getting off the nest boxes.
I think mine do the majority of eating their feed during the early morning hours before I let them out.

Last edited:
I used to have food and water inside and out, but it was a lot of work. As I live in the desert, my girls spend most of the time outside (maybe this is true no matter where you live?). Anyway, I now have food outside (yes, the wild birds also eat it), and water inside and out. I open their pop door when I leave for work about 6:30 a.m., and they're up and at 'em. Seems to work out OK, but if they weren't out the door first thing in the morning, I think I'd need to have food inside as well.

I'm into my 3rd week of owning chickens myself. Love those little beasties.
I leave the feeder and water in the coop and have a water dish outside. I'll probably get another waterer like I have inside this summer.

I just throw handfuls of starter/grower around the straw in the run for them to scratch at during the day. Love to watch that. I had to put some on the ramp into the coop to help them get the idea to go up it.

I keep food and water available for mine all night long, my mother expects hers to get a drink and a nibble before turning in for the night. Neither group seems happier or healthier. I really think it is a matter of personal preference (and I really doubt mine get up for a snack or a drink like my kids!! LOL).

I feed inside the coop - water both inside and outside, and scratch outside (tossed on the ground).

In summer I add extra waterers outside, so they don't have to go far for them (or if someone is hogging they can all get to water).

I feed inside the coop because - if I am gone, or I forget to put it in and it rains, the food isn't wet. (or if I am gone when it starts to rain)

Usually when they are outside, they are eating bugs, grass, taking dirt baths, etc.. and not as interested in their feed anyway.

I do not have food or water IN the actual coop - I have it in their pen (12X12 dog pen) but they are free to come and go from their coop anytime they want as the pop door stays open, even in winter. They have plastic strips (like a pet doggy door) over half of their pop door to keep the wind out of their coop and they do just fine.

Only having 6 birds and our coop being about 4X6 (floor dimensions) there isnt enough room for food and water in the coop itself. I've also never seen my girls come OUT of their coop at night once they turn in for the evening; once they're in, they stay there. In the summertime, they do sometimes sleep on their outside roost but I've still never seen them get up to eat or drink even then.

Last edited:
I keep feeders and waterers inside the coop 24/7. So both are available at night & in the morning before I get there to open each coop.

I keep a second waterers outside in the free range areas. (Some of the space is divided for breeding purposes.)

All scraps and treats are feed outside, only what they can clean up in an hour or less.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom