Do I need to modify chicken house to accommodate ducks?

Muscovy-palooza

Songster
Oct 17, 2018
East Tennessee
We have a old farm that built in late 1800's. It already had a chicken house. Just wondering if anyone can advise or make suggestions on how to best accommodate our ducks if I share pics. There are already roosting posts. Some are over a large boxed in area that I am not really sure of its purpose. This boxed area slants forward. There are also built in nesting boxes that seem like they may be a little small. Most of the ducks like to hide on the floor under the perches and boxed area making it hard to retrieve any eggs if there are any.
20190114_101615.jpg
20190131_142605.jpg
20190114_101800.jpg
20190114_101615.jpg
20190114_101807.jpg
20190114_101807.jpg

Wow for an ancient building it looks good

If it were me ide haul everything out
Have a flat floor with nothing in it and make a roost like a folding step ladder

That way everything can be shovel and scrapped out in one go without cleaning so many small areas

Ducks poop liquidy way more than chickens. Iam sure you know thats a big flock you have!

Wow for an ancient building it looks good

If it were me ide haul everything out
Have a flat floor with nothing in it and make a roost like a folding step ladder

That way everything can be shovel and scrapped out in one go without cleaning so many small areas

Ducks poop liquidy way more than chickens. Iam sure you know thats a big flock you have!
Thanks for the suggestions :) I do not know if we will ever want chickens but do you know if chickens and muscovy can coexist? I agree with having fewer nooks and crannies to clean! What about the nesting boxes? Do you think that the girls would use the ones that are there already? Or should I come up with something else? Btw, i have considered closing in the underside of the perch area so that the ducks can't get where I can't reach them and just use that area for storage.

I personally wouldn’t house ducks with chickens due to how wet the ducks are. For the ducks to be happy, they don’t need a roost so you can forgo that option. I would suggest a pool for them to use since that makes happy ducks.
We are blessed with a lot of water. We have water running through our property that feeds a good size pond. We are fortunate that we don't have to maintain a pool. God takes care of that for us :) 20181210_080721.jpg 20190114_100117.jpg

Back
Top Bottom