Do it yourself or take them to a butcher?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Erin80, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Erin80

Erin80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2017
    Do you harvest your own chickens, or do you take them somewhere?

2. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    We have a small backyard flock for eggs, so it doesn't come up often. But in the occasion where it does, we harvest ourselves ... it's only one bird at a time.

If we were raising for meat, it would 'depend' ... half a dozen for our own use? We'd harvest ourselves. Larger number for sale? We'd probably take them to a butcher, or call someone in who processes.

3. FenwayFieldFarm

FenwayFieldFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2016
    Loudoun County, VA
    Last weekend, we processed our own meat birds for the first time. Starting at 7:45AM, 3 adults and 2 teenagers finished processing 79 birds at 3:00pm. Barrel plucker was well worth the investment. Having folks help with the processing also makes things easier.

4. WVForestGirl

WVForestGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2015
    West Virginia
    I like to do six at a time by myself, it takes me maybe 3 hours including setup and cleanup. I pluck by hand. It all goes pretty fast once you've done it a couple times. Even faster if you skin them, that's what I do with the juvvie bantams now, not worth the trouble of plucking those little squabs ;)

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I take them to a local processor, because it's so much more convenient. One bird occasionally wouldn't be worth the time, but a group at once is worth the money for us. Mary

6. Becky128

Becky128 Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2017
    My husband, daughter and a helper paid with a chicken or two do it themselves ! Last year we did 10 this year in about a week and half will do 26 more.

7. Amandakae

Amandakae Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2015
    We harvested the first two batches of 15 ourselves, and then took the last batch in to the processor. Since we really like the skin to stay on, we have decided that it is not worth it ourselves to hand pluck, so we will not get chicks again until we have a plucker ready.

8. Becky128

Becky128 Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2017
    I should add we borrow the stuff for plucking the feathers.

9. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Well my housemates have made it clear that their will be no disemboweling of animals on the premises. Unfortunately I cannot find anyone else that will do it for me either. Can you believe that? I am surrounded by farmers and hundreds of square miles of hunting areas, game processors as common as gas stations in a large city yet no one will do a chicken for love or money!

10. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Are they vegan? If not, you should process them anyway since they dont have a valid argument if they eat animal products. More humane to grow and process yourself compared to store bought. Actually, even if they are vegan, they should support your doing things the humane way if they cant convince you to be vegan anyway. Stand your ground, it is the right thing to do and they will learn to respect you for it after learning more about the horrors of factory farming themselves.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    MasAhora, NJWMaine and WVForestGirl like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by