Do muscovy ducks color change/fade?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by froggie71, Aug 13, 2011.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We have 2 scovys. The female hatched her 1st set of eggs this year and after being out of the sun and sitting I expected her to lose color in her face. We have just recently noticed that she doesn't look at black as she once did, but more brown/gray now. Maybe she is molting? She just looked much blacker before.

This is Tiffany now.
    . [​IMG]
    This is Tiffany after her babies hatched.
    [​IMG]

2. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

It looks like she is molting. Have you noticed a lot of feathers and such? How long has she looked like this? If she is molting, it'll clear up and look pretty before long. They look really bad when they molt, mine certainly does! Colors do fade in the sun as well. Gorgeous duck.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Thanks. [​IMG] My thought is she is molting. With 70+ birds in the back yard there is a ton of feathers, so kind of hard to say if they are hers or not. She does looking pretty ratty in the updated pic of her, but I love her blue eyes [​IMG]

4. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yeah, the more I look at her the more I think molting. She looks a lot like my duck does when she molts, all ratty. [​IMG] Her blue eyes are gorgeous, and I love her coloring too! Prettiest Muscovy I've ever seen.

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    She looks like she is molting.
    My muscovy hen looked terrible after she hatched her eggs. She still looks dull and rough, but I think she's going through a molt too. I'm just going to wait it out. She seems healthy otherwise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by