Do my little sisters count as pests, because I've got 2!

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
I have a pest problem, if my little sisters count as pests. I've tried to ask my mum to tell them to stay away from the quail cage, but they don't listen! The quail are positioned in a large cage outside my room, because my mum didn't want it in my room, but this means the entrance to one of my little sister's room is right next to them now as well!

Mum has told her to just walk straight past the cage, but she identifies as a therian (she's only nine), like a spiritual furry. She hops past the cage on all fours and scares the crap out of my birds, literally! She also sits next to the cage and watches them while purring and howling. It scares them so much, they keep jumping and hitting their heads and one of my quail keeps screaming at her! I've told her it shortens their lifespan and she says she'll never do it again, but she's always back the next day. She tries to touch them and pick them up, i think I should put a lock on the cage doors.

And that's just one sister! The other lives upstairs but thinks she's a Disney princess or something and that the birds love her. They hide whenever she comes around! She made my late bird, Hercules, be scared of the word 'nut' her whole life after she tried singing a song about Nutella to them like Adelle. She's 8, so she definitely understands what I'm talking about.

I don't know what to do, because they have both been told not to and still do it, and my mum doesn't care enough to get them to stop, she just tells them not to!

Does anyone know how I can deal with this and get these pests away from the cage? At school I've been spraying classmates with a spray bottle if they come too close to the class incubator and that works well, should I test it out at home? What can I even do??

Try to get your mom to let you keep them in your room. I am sure if you tell her the stress will shorten their lifespan, she will let you. Why does your mom not let you keep them in your room.
Because they poop constantly and smell. Also their cage doesn't fit in my room anywhere, unless I get rid of my bench.

I may not have the answer for you but here is a thought. I don't know the ages of all parties but you know that your sisters are curious about the quail, so try to use that to your advantage. You might try to satisfy some of that curiosity by educating your sisters with all you can explain to them about the birds and how best to keep them healthy. Impress upon them that the birds' health is dependent on them being calm. You can also reward the girlls when they do the right thing. Perhaps make a schedule where a sister that has behaved properly for 3 days, gets to feed the birds for one day. I'm sure you know a lot about the species of quail you keep and with the sisters' curiosity, they could become a big help to you once they learn. They can even help you clean the cage. Impress upon them what an important responsibility that is.

Will the cage fit on the bench?
It is possible with the right bedding in the cage and regular cleaning to eliminate the smell.

Good luck.

I may not have the answer for you but here is a thought. I don't know the ages of all parties but you know that your sisters are curious about the quail, so try to use that to your advantage. You might try to satisfy some of that curiosity by educating your sisters with all you can explain to them about the birds and how best to keep them healthy. Impress upon them that the birds' health is dependent on them being calm. You can also reward the girlls when they do the right thing. Perhaps make a schedule where a sister that has behaved properly for 3 days, gets to feed the birds for one day. I'm sure you know a lot about the species of quail you keep and with the sisters' curiosity, they could become a big help to you once they learn. They can even help you clean the cage. Impress upon them what an important responsibility that is.
This is a really good idea, but they don't listen to me at all. One of them hates me even though I didn't do anything and the other thinks she is an adult and knows better than everybody else.
Will the cage fit on the bench?
It is possible with the right bedding in the cage and regular cleaning to eliminate the smell.

Good luck.
No, it definitely won't. The cage is huge.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I think I need all the good luck I can get!

I have a pest problem, if my little sisters count as pests. I've tried to ask my mum to tell them to stay away from the quail cage, but they don't listen! The quail are positioned in a large cage outside my room, because my mum didn't want it in my room, but this means the entrance to one of my little sister's room is right next to them now as well!

Mum has told her to just walk straight past the cage, but she identifies as a therian (she's only nine), like a spiritual furry. She hops past the cage on all fours and scares the crap out of my birds, literally! She also sits next to the cage and watches them while purring and howling. It scares them so much, they keep jumping and hitting their heads and one of my quail keeps screaming at her! I've told her it shortens their lifespan and she says she'll never do it again, but she's always back the next day. She tries to touch them and pick them up, i think I should put a lock on the cage doors.

And that's just one sister! The other lives upstairs but thinks she's a Disney princess or something and that the birds love her. They hide whenever she comes around! She made my late bird, Hercules, be scared of the word 'nut' her whole life after she tried singing a song about Nutella to them like Adelle. She's 8, so she definitely understands what I'm talking about.

I don't know what to do, because they have both been told not to and still do it, and my mum doesn't care enough to get them to stop, she just tells them not to!

Does anyone know how I can deal with this and get these pests away from the cage? At school I've been spraying classmates with a spray bottle if they come too close to the class incubator and that works well, should I test it out at home? What can I even do??
have you ever thought about surrending your sisters to the human shelter ok now heres a real suggestion have you ever thought about keeping them outside

The birds would be happier outside, even if your sisters were little angels. Or, perhaps you could trade them for a couple of parakeets. Parakeets are easy to train to rest on a finger and are fun to watch.
I completley aggree. They would be much happier outside fresh air foraging ect. I have never heard of someone keepin chickens ducks or qauil outside

Because they poop constantly and smell. Also their cage doesn't fit in my room anywhere, unless I get rid of my bench.
You could try the deep litter metod basicly when it starts to smell you put more bedding down and it wont smell every 6 months do a deep clean and repaet that cycle but I highly recomend you move them to outside they would be way happier out there but there your birds so if you have the recources you should move them outside

Back
Top Bottom