Do newly laying pullets act sick?

Red Horse

Songster
May 16, 2022
I'm a first time chicken owner and someone started laying 2 days ago. Both eggs were the same color, small, and in the same spot so I presume it was the same girl. I'm not sure who dunnit, but I have 2 golden comets and the rest are all heritage breeds so I'm expecting it was one of the hybrids (they're all 18 weeks old). One of the comets has been sitting off on her own in the run fluffed up, and today she went inside and roosted up in the back of the coop alone while I was there... unusual for any of my birds because they're spoiled treat-seekers. She has a redder comb than the other comet but her vent is still pretty pale, could it be her that's laying? Do they normally act like they don't feel well in the beginning? She also looks like she sat in some really light colored poop because it's in her fluffy butt feathers, not crusted around her vent feathers. No egg yet today either but its only been about 2hrs since sunup.

She's having problems. This lethargy at onset of laying is not the norm. The light colored poop on the butt feathers may indicate a stuck egg.

Give her a calcium tablet immediately. Calcium citrate is what I recommend because it works very fast. This can help get a stubborn egg out. Were the two small eggs you found good shells or poor?
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

I think you're right because it's almost noon here and still no egg and she's still hanging out in the coop by herself. The shells seem a bit thick but really smooth, a couple black specks on the yolk which broke when I cracked the egg because I'm clumsy. I'll go get some tabs right now, what's your chosen method for getting them down?

Getting a pill into a chicken is much easier than with a cat or dog or a child. Just pry the peak open and stick it in. The chicken automatically swallows easily.
Mission accomplished, she definitely isn't feeling good. How long should I give her to pass it before I try something else or another pill?

I had meant to post pics earlier but I rushed off to the store

Attachments

• 20220915_111905.jpg
    20220915_111905.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220915_111952.jpg
    20220915_111952.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220915_112004.jpg
    20220915_112004.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 4
She passed it in the nest box she has been using. She made no sound when she did it, but she got up and moved to the nest box at the other end of the coop and laid down in it. I finally went in to check on her and she hustled out of the coop, and I found the egg. She is drinking now and hanging out with the others. Do you know if the comets typically have issues this young? They have had oyster shell for over a week now and are eating it, and they're about 50% switched over from their start n' grow to layena crumbles.

Attachments

• 20220915_140144.jpg
    20220915_140144.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 6
Well, she drank a little and stood around with the other girls for a few minutes and then went right back to being lethargic... could she just be tired after passing the egg? Should I give her another tablet in the morning? I found out after I bought them that the hybrids have more trouble as they get older and have a shorter life expectancy, but I feel so bad that her laying days are starting out rough. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to make things easier on her and her sister.

Give her a calcium tablet once a day until she's behaving normally. For as long as it takes.

The issues production layers have usually don't show up until the second year, but each individual is unique so problems may occur at any time.

It's not unusual for two eggs to be involved. It sure surprised me the first time it happened in my flock. An EE was eggbound and finally laid an egg. I was slow in releasing her after I saw she had laid the stubborn egg. Then an hour later, she laid another egg, this time without any shell.

After that, she was back to acting normal.

Give her a calcium tablet once a day until she's behaving normally. For as long as it takes.

The issues production layers have usually don't show up until the second year, but each individual is unique so problems may occur at any time.

It's not unusual for two eggs to be involved. It sure surprised me the first time it happened in my flock. An EE was eggbound and finally laid an egg. I was slow in releasing her after I saw she had laid the stubborn egg. Then an hour later, she laid another egg, this time without any shell.

After that, she was back to acting normal.
It was weird to me that she had already laid an egg yesterday morning but then in the evening she was looking suspicious... I knew something was up and it was confirmed today. I will do as you say and thank you so much for all your help!!!!

Back
Top Bottom