do NOT want to ask ? on pred./pest section but....

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
I have something grunting,like a small porcine, in the top of my barn. does anyone know if a raccoon just routinely grunts with their young or what else could it be? am NOT going to kill a healthy wild animal with young so don't respond if thats your thought. I WILL kill a sick wild animal though. thanks.

You don't have to kill any animal.
But that doesn't make it less pesty, if you know what I mean.

This forum is for help with these situations and I know people will give advice in the parameters you set.
smile.png

Quote:

So do possums, squirrels, cats, porcupines, bobcats and a host of other critters. Including a ticked off broody hen!

Get out the binocs and flashlight, identify the animal and proceed from there.
BTW, I am one of those "don't kill the animal, protect the birds properly" people. But I did finally have to shoot a possum who was killing my chickens when I found it. I hated to do it, but I was in a no other choice situation. Basically, I straddle the fence, but given a choice I will ALWAYS let the animal live while minimizing risk to my flock.

Last edited:
Hello.. I am new here but not to chickens and animals..racoons chitter,growl and purr ...their chitter is a distinct sound that once you hear you will remember. Possums make a low, growly noise so I'm not sure what you have. What area are you from? I am in northern Indiana so it would be crazy for me to try to answer if you're on a desert in Arizona..lol
tongue.png

Quote:
Hi,
welcome-byc.gif

If you look under the OPs avatar, the location is listed as Baltimore, Ohio. Not too far from you!

Glad you have joined us!
frow.gif

Hard to tell you with just a grunt. Place some flour on the area, then post pics of the foot print, lot of member could tell you what it is by prints.

It could be a few things. If you can get access to the area where the sounds are and still be able to retreat quickly, (In case it's a momma something with babies, she might attack), you should try to visually inspect the barn loft. You may have racoons, opossum, rats, or owls up there. If it is too dangerous to get up there, than try the flour method or see if you can borrow a game camera from someone and point it at the presumed entrance/exit.

BTW, I alwso do not kill or trap wildlife. My pens are strong, and my property is frequented by Bobcat, Skunk, Racoon and Opossum. Good poultry management does not automatically require that you kill every wild animal you see. There are other methods that work just as well. Electric is a good option for those on a budget, for instance.

Last edited:
Quote:
Uh, stick a match to the barn and see what comes running out?
wee.gif

roll.png
IA just likes to josh folks...

You could try setting a live trap to see what you have up there...or I like the tracks through the flour idea! Yeah...the possibilities are endless. Maybe pigs really CAN fly and it IS a small porcine up there...lol. I'd guess like you that something is mothering young though, to make grunting noises like that.

Back
Top Bottom