Do others here move their coops regularly?

Jonas78028

In the Brooder
May 17, 2020
Texas Hill Country
I have a small coop that I move every Saturday. I have only been moving it one coop space at a time but eventually I will run out of yard and start back at the beginning. I am wondering if I will be able to move it around less once the hens are big enough to have run of the property? Am I nuts or do other people do this as well?

Attachments

• CM1.jpg
    CM1.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 25
  • CM2.jpg
    CM2.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 18
I have a small coop that I move every Saturday. I have only been moving it one coop space at a time but eventually I will run out of yard and start back at the beginning. I am wondering if I will be able to move it around less once the hens are big enough to have run of the property? Am I nuts or do other people do this as well?
When they are bigger they will poop more, you will need to move it even more if you are trying to keep having a green grass lawn. Most of us decide to sacrifice some grass and leave the coop in one place. We do this with pens for meat birds, look up "chicken tractor' in the search box.

Moving a coop, yes, you're nuts. :) Well, realistically most of us CAN'T move our coops as they're either built into the ground or weigh several hundred or thousands of pounds...

What you're actually doing is using it as a tractor, which is a different sort of set up that is meant to be moved to minimize damage to the grass and to provide fresh grass/ground for chickens to scratch in.

Yah, kinda nuts(hope you have a sense of humor).
Most movable enclosures are for meat birds, who only live for about 8 weeks.
And that coop/run isn't big enough for 10 grown birds.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Jonas78028
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1590621172076.png

Thanks for the insite everybody!
Yes, I know my coop is too small for 10 grown birds. I started off with 10 baby chicks and I currently have 8 young hens. (lost a few early on) I will be free ranging the hens and utilizing the coop for night time security and egg collection. I'll be moving it again this Saturday!

I ran some "tractors" at my last property and moved them about whenever the grass looked like your pic. I used them to keep up on the grass in the field. I'd totally move a small lightweight coop like that so that the birds always have some grass to pick at.

Back
Top Bottom