Do people lie about how many eggs they get??

Pics
Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have 3 hens that are 2.5 yr old.
I have 15 hens that are 1.5 yr old
I have 2 hens that are almost 1 yr old.
I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????
Depends on the breed. My white leghorns laid nearly an egg a day even in Vermont winter, but I had added light.

My hens have never stopped laying in winter, but I live in hawaii so of course that's why! We get an egg a day from our sexlinks hens (sans 1 day a week where one of them will take a break) but from our non hybrids most don't lay every day. Our wyandottes are pretty consistent but still not as consistent as our sexlinks. I think it's down to breed and sunlight.. and it seems like those that get an egg a day through winter either live somewhere with plenty of daylight or they supplement lighting.

Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????

I don't know if they realize it when they say their chickens lay every day. You would have to stay and watch the chicken to prove them wrong because they are head strong. I just don't argue about it anymore I just inform them that mine lay a nice big egg every other day. They will almost always reply: "Mine lay an egg every day" .
Some of my hens have taken a break in the dead of winter some layed all the way through, 1 egg every other day.

I have four hens that are lasts years hatch. I get four eggs a day most days, if not three. I’m hopeful that this will continue!

13 hens total. 7 Champion Pearl Eggers, 5 Easter Eggers and 1 Silkie. They just hit 1 year old.

All past summer and fall I pretty much got a dozen eggs a day. This winter it dropped to 8-9. No supplemental light and the Silkie pretty much stopped laying for the entire winter.

It's the internet...take every word with a grain of salt.
That being said... I never got an egg a day on any day let alone during the winter months. But some breeds do lay better than others through the winter. I had 2 Isa Browns once that layed very well during the cold short days.

They are supplying an additional light source. Varies by specific species. I have ida reds, Americana, and the 3rd variety escapes me now. I’ve gone from no eggs, to 1-3 eggs to 6 ( one each) depends on the day. 😁

It depends a lot on the breeds, the individual chickens, and the conditions they're living in.

A few anecdotes to add to the list:

For one batch of chickens I had once (northern Virginia, no artificial lights), I knew who laid what eggs--the 2 Easter Egger banties laid (some) in the summer, but none at all in the winter. The 2 Chanteclers laid well all winter (not quite an egg a day, but at least 2 out of 3 days, per chicken). One of them also laid all summer, while the other spent all summer broody.

A different batch of chickens (also northern Virginia, but about 10 years different in time) I tracked each egg as they started to lay. All were hatched in late June. One Yokohama laid the last day of November, the Dark Cornish started sometime in December--both laid about 5 eggs a week. The Buckeye didn't start until sometime in February, but then she really did lay every day (30+ days in which she literally missed only one day, before I quit tracking.) One Cornish Bantam started in January, laid something like 23 eggs in 25 days, then went broody. The Sumatra finally started in late March, and had at least one week with 7 eggs. All were in the same pen, same food, free-range in the same backyard, no artificial lights. (There were some other breeds too, but that's a fair sample of the noteworthy ones. All were rare breeds of one kind or another.)

When I got the above batch, I split the order of chicks with a friend. We both ended up with the same breeds. By sometime in January, about half my birds were laying--and my friend was not getting any eggs at all. Same breeds, same source, same age, also in northern Virginia, also no artificial lights, different style of coop/run, not sure what other differences. Due to how the coops were set up, my friend's chickens could not have been hiding eggs, although my own could possibly have done so.

I have 3 hens- 1 year old buff Orp and 2 ISA browns 6months. I’m getting at least 2 eggs every day. I get between 12-18 eggs a week. I say I get an egg from each of my ladies almost every day.
I’m in Australia and in Autumn.
The other factor - maybe people are from other parts of the world - if they are saying they get an egg a day when they are experiencing summer and you are in winter, that would be reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom