Do people lie about how many eggs they get??

Pics
We have a special needs chicken. She has scissor beak, but lays respectably. Glad we aren't the only ones crazy enough to have a special needs chicken. What is your chicken got?

My crossbeak is actually my best layer, go figure.

What hasn't my special needs girl got? For starters she has an extra toe on each foot, so both her back toes (one regular, one extra) are deformed. So she's very prone to bumblefoot and struggles to roost.

She had some sort of neurological issue as a chick and couldn't walk in a straight line, so she "doodled" from place to place like a Family Circus comic. She still can't really walk straight but at least no longer spins helplessly.

As a teen she developed wry neck to the point that she could not balance herself upright. She spent 6 weeks in isolation, basically tilted forward until her head was just above the ground. I nearly culled her at that point but thanks to the advice on here I managed to pull her out of it.

Everytime she molts she gets the worst diarrhea. :lol:

I have 5 hens and in California ( so ‘winters’ aren’t rough) and by far my 2 yo Australorp is truly my only consistent layer every day and I treat it like a golden egg. LOL! Wyandotte’s are cute but worthless. Even my 4yo BO lays more than they do. And my Buff Rock usually lays huge eggs but have decided to molt forevvvvver 🤷‍♀️

I have 23 hens, 15 Golden Comets, 4 white rocks and 4 americanas. I live in Georgia where we seldom get much cold weather but we had the rainest winter ever. I have been averaging 20 to 21 eggs a day all winter. I do believe most of my birds lay at least 6 eggs a week. I have been a little surprised and extremely pleased that they have laid this well all winter. The birds are just over 1 year old.

We have a special needs chicken. She has scissor beak, but lays respectably. Glad we aren't the only ones crazy enough to have a special needs chicken. What is your chicken got?
Gosh we have tons of special needs birds and they're the best layers... Our sapphire gem has feather problems(big hens nearly plucked her as a baby), and we get an egg everyday from her. I don't think there's been one day she hasn't laid. Even locked her out of the coop today to free range and found her coming out of the silkies house with an egg left behind.
Our hen we got from buchiets had a plucked butt and bad underbite.(we impulsively got her because she was getting beat up ...now she runs our yard.) Black sexlink so it doesn't surprise me she's the second best.

I have 3 duck hens and only get 1 egg a day. 2 if I'm lucky.
I have 9 hens and get at least 7 a day normally. But 3 are polish and only lay every other day.

I'm getting maybe one or two more than you are, with the same number of hens. It beats me how they do it. I do know someone who has red Sexlinks and gets an egg a day, feeding mostly corn. She says for ten hens, she goes through about a bag of allflock a month. I guess sexlinks are all they're touted to be—I just don't like them.

People with lights in their coops during the winter will get more eggs than you do.

I will say that Wyandottes were some of the worst egg-layers I've ever had, and that the Easter Eggers were pretty bad too.
I'm getting maybe one or two more than you are, with the same number of hens. It beats me how they do it. I do know someone who has red Sexlinks and gets an egg a day, feeding mostly corn. She says for ten hens, she goes through about a bag of allflock a month. I guess sexlinks are all they're touted to be—I just don't like them.

People with lights in their coops during the winter will get more eggs than you do.

I will say that Wyandottes were some of the worst egg-layers I've ever had, and that the Easter Eggers were pretty bad too.
Sylvie, I have 2 Wyandottes and the problem I have with them is that theyre egg's are very small and they don't lay all the time, so I agree.

Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have 3 hens that are 2.5 yr old.
I have 15 hens that are 1.5 yr old
I have 2 hens that are almost 1 yr old.
I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????
Minky, I have 12 hens and they all don't lay every day. Seems like I got more during our mild winter, here in south Texas, with 2 heat lamps on in coop. Right now I can get any where from 7 to 10 eggs a day, sometimes but for us, that's okay. :)

13 hens ranging from 4 to 1 and they literally want for nothing, everyday is a chicken vacation.
We have a few nice 9 to 11 egg weeks before broodiness tanks it to 4 to 6.
Winter brings PLENTY of 1or2 days.
I save the lies for things like weight and age.
I have no issue owning sucky egg days, kind of odd trying to impress with bird butt tricks anyway. :)

Sylvie, I have 2 Wyandottes and the problem I have with them is that theyre egg's are very small and they don't lay all the time, so I agree.
And here's where I differ...I have 4 gold laced Wyandottes, they're 4 years old. They lay the biggest eggs and they're my best layers. One of them will go broody from time to time. I also have leghorns, buff orphingtons, barred rocks and 1 of about every other common breed. I will say that my Wyandottes don't lay through the winter but I don't give them heat or light... and it's so cold that the eggs are do get are usually cracked and unusable. My silver laced Wyandotte does lay a much smaller egg, but she is very regular.

I have four 10 month old hybrid hens.
Each of them lay at least 6 eggs a week.
One of them has been laying everyday for a month now.
And why would someone lie about the number of eggs they are getting????
Is their any competition going on here???

Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have 3 hens that are 2.5 yr old.
I have 15 hens that are 1.5 yr old
I have 2 hens that are almost 1 yr old.
I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????
Right now I have 29 hens and pullets. Four either have chicks or are brooding a nest.
So, 24 potential layers. I got 17 eggs yesterday. Daily is between 14-18.
I do know that my two Buttercups are NOT good layers. I get about three eggs per week from each of them. My most reliable large birds are my EEs.

Back
Top Bottom