Do Pullets need their combs fully grown before they lay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 5Leepy!, Aug 26, 2011.

1. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I haven't really seen any discussion on combs and wattles growing our vs. when the pullet starts to lay. Can they start laying before their combs and wattles are fully formed? Just curious.

Thanks,
    5Leepy!

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    The entire pullet keeps growing the first months of laying. The combs are red when they start laying, but not as large as when fully grown.

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    yes my first egg ever came from a pullet with a very small pink comb

4. lou52

lou52 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I hav a question....we have 4 EE's, bought all 4 the same time & place. Only 1 (the smallest ) is laying for 3 weeks now. When should the others start????

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    With EEs, it's anyone's guess. Really. Not kidding.
    Anywhere from 16 weeks to a year, and everything in between because EEs are mixes.

6. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the answers! I have 4 - 15 week old pullets and a few have started squatting so I think they're starting to get ready but their combs and wattles aren't mature yet.

Have a good weekend!
    5Leepy!

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    5Leepy! :

I haven't really seen any discussion on combs and wattles growing our vs. when the pullet starts to lay. Can they start laying before their combs and wattles are fully formed? Just curious.

Thanks,
    5Leepy!

Interesting question. I guess certain breeds to have nice red wattle and comb before laying. But each pullet is an individual and will have different sized of combs and wattles.

Big Sister has fairly small comb and wattles yet she manages to lay 5 brown eggs a week:

[​IMG]

While Askew sports a nicer set of wattles and combs. She lays a small brown egg:

[​IMG]

And this manly (and muddy) pullet lays a large very light brown egg:

[​IMG]

And my runt, Morse Code lays a tiny banty egg with double yolks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  8. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    with my girls the first ones to lay had the smallest combs and wattles that were very light pink in color. it took my by surprise because i thought i would get eggs first from the girls who were a lot more developed but they started last.

9. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I went to get some pullets from this guy once. I was trying my best to catch the most mature looking pullets.
    The man said "I think I know what you are doing and it might actually backfire on you." He said all the pullets were 16 weeks.
    We did a little experiment and got half mature looking and half not. Sure enough the younger LOOKING pullets layed first.
    Go figure!

10. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Well I got a mix of pullets from feed store 5/20 RIR, SLW, BR, and 2 EE, BO--my EE looks ready and 1 of my SLW looks ready, 1 of my BR looks ready...not sure wahat may happen...guess they will be ready when they are ready. Makes it like Christmas...go out everyday looking for a present never know what you may find....LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by