Do quail need or benefit from grit?

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I have never seen anyone feed quail grit but I plan to feed them more food scraps hopefully soon and I'm wondering, do they need or benefit from grit? Do they have a crop like chickens? Thx,

The crop stores food they've just eaten, letting them gorge before they rest/digest. Like chickens, quail have a gizzard, which is where they collect small stones to grind whatever passes through their system (basically where they do their "chewing").

So yes, they need grit to process non-water-soluble foods (plants, bugs, etc.). I find chick grit or any "normal" grit on the small side works just fine for quail.

The crop stores food they've just eaten, letting them gorge before they rest/digest. Like chickens, quail have a gizzard, which is where they collect small stones to grind whatever passes through their system (basically where they do their "chewing").

So yes, they need grit to process non-water-soluble foods (plants, bugs, etc.). I find chick grit or any "normal" grit on the small side works just fine for quail.
Does I matter that I recently gave my quail a small amount of a banana without grit (over a week ago I believe)? Are they hurt from this? Thank you.

Does I matter that I recently gave my quail a small amount of a banana without grit (over a week ago I believe)? Are they hurt from this? Thank you.
Banana I wouldn't worry about as much as, say, seeds or dried insects or anything hard/fibrous. I think your quail will be fine with a little "under-mashed" banana.

Note that the gizzard is basically a pouch of muscle, and it's still mushing around whatever comes through. Just a whole lot more effective with little rocks in it.

Banana I wouldn't worry about as much as, say, seeds or dried insects or anything hard/fibrous. I think your quail will be fine with a little "under-mashed" banana.

Note that the gizzard is basically a pouch of muscle, and it's still mushing around whatever comes through. Just a whole lot more effective with little rocks in it.
Thank you for the response. Would it be OK to only give my quail grit when I give them food scraps and things? Or should they have it before I feed it to them? Thx,

If you're going to be offering them things other than their milled feed, just keep a small dish of grit available on the side. They'll take what they need.

Make sure that the treats aren't more than 10% of their diet.
Is anything that isn't their Gamebird feed counted as a treat? Or just the sugary foods? Thx,

Back
Top Bottom