Do Roos develop tail AND wing feathers slower? Also, are my TSC “cuckoo Marans” blue Plymouth rocks?

SoManyMoments

Chirping
Apr 19, 2022
Hey there, loving all my recent impulse buys from TSC and got a little too excited about some straight run chicks I decided to take the gamble. I have two burning questions. First is breed. They were in a mixed bin labeled as cuckoo marans (the others were salmon faverolles, which I bought too of course) but I know that the day earlier they had “blue Plymouth rocks” in the same bin. After looking at cuckoo baby chick pictures, I’m not so sure they’re cuckoos! They’re a soft gray and first feathers are not barred. Anyone verify?

Also, one of each of the two types developed very long wing feather a bit after a week old, like the rest of my pullets did, but then two of them had shorty stubby wings. The stubby winged birds are also yet to get any tail feathers, meanwhile everyone else is sporting them. Could this be a clue to who is a rooster?

Photos for context! Thanks for geeking out with me! Love these little floof balls & seeing them feather out!

Attachments

• 22410441-CFCA-4CC4-8E40-8FCFE0FD97F8.jpeg
    22410441-CFCA-4CC4-8E40-8FCFE0FD97F8.jpeg
    692.9 KB · Views: 77
  • D0C97C9E-4EC0-4FCE-B139-86E681E0FC93.jpeg
    D0C97C9E-4EC0-4FCE-B139-86E681E0FC93.jpeg
    690.1 KB · Views: 32
  • C3EBD9AA-8853-4E37-B469-5509FD511E0E.jpeg
    C3EBD9AA-8853-4E37-B469-5509FD511E0E.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 198CC280-24CF-4CD6-A8F1-9CC672350E96.jpeg
    198CC280-24CF-4CD6-A8F1-9CC672350E96.jpeg
    694 KB · Views: 38
  • 279616D9-FA6C-4A8A-A662-98E623FCCAF5.jpeg
    279616D9-FA6C-4A8A-A662-98E623FCCAF5.jpeg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 32
They are not blue Plymouth Rocks or blue Rocks. That would be the breed Plymouth Rock in the variety of blue. There are such a thing but they are rare and not sold for TSC prices.
Some hatcheries are labeling their versions of Sapphire Gems with that name. I'd suspect that what you bought. Blue sex links by whatever name they decided to call them this season.
If they're males they should end up with barring although it may be hard to see on blue. Pullets will be solid blue.
Just my opinion.

They are not blue Plymouth Rocks or blue Rocks. That would be the breed Plymouth Rock in the variety of blue. There are such a thing but they are rare and not sold for TSC prices.
Some hatcheries are labeling their versions of Sapphire Gems with that name. I'd suspect that what you bought. Blue sex links by whatever name they decided to call them this season.
If they're males they should end up with barring although it may be hard to see on blue. Pullets will be solid blue.
Just my opinion.
I also just read that TSC doesn’t sell such fancy breeds as the blue Plymouth, but they weren’t sex-link. The straight run bin had birds that all looked the same. And now, of course, I have the one with much slower feather development and showing signs of rooster rather than pullet. Any other guesses for breed of such a gray baby bird? 🤷‍♀️ thanks for sharing what you know! It’s a fun mystery. They’re getting more feathers every day, so far no barring and all that pretty blue gray color.

Nope I'll stick with my opinion of blue sex links.
I'm on a phone with cr@p signal so when pics are thumbs that's what I usually have to deal with.
With that in the last pic I'm thinking the darker may be a male. Look real close at the top of their heads do any have a faint yellowish spot?
Look at the legs. Any have clearer yellow shanks compared to any with a black wash down the fromt?

Nope I'll stick with my opinion of blue sex links.
I'm on a phone with cr@p signal so when pics are thumbs that's what I usually have to deal with.
With that in the last pic I'm thinking the darker may be a male. Look real close at the top of their heads do any have a faint yellowish spot?
Look at the legs. Any have clearer yellow shanks compared to any with a black wash down the fromt?

Do “blue sex link” lay colored eggs? 😍

They both have black washed legs with light fleshy colored toes.

No yellow dot on the head. The one I suspect to be female is darker on her head and the other has some white markings on his face.

Thanks for helping me solve this mystery.

they weren’t sex-link. The straight run bin had birds that all looked the same.
I'm not sure why you would trust the gender label on the bin, when you already know it said the wrong breed.

Also, one of each of the two types developed very long wing feather a bit after a week old, like the rest of my pullets did, but then two of them had shorty stubby wings. The stubby winged birds are also yet to get any tail feathers, meanwhile everyone else is sporting them. Could this be a clue to who is a rooster?
Chicks of either gender can have the slow feathering gene. It is possible to breed feather-sexable chicks (slow males, fast females), but finding them in the feed store is relatively rare.

I would assume the feathering has nothing to do with the gender, and instead pay attention to comb and wattle development as they grow.

I agree with @The Moonshiner that they look like Blue Sexlink pullets at present, but I also think it is too early to be completely sure.

Back
Top Bottom