Do shipped eggs really hatch?

Daveroo, I just realized that I duplicated your post...
lol.png
Sorry!

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Daveroo, I just realized that I duplicated your post...
lol.png
Sorry!

Well, as Curly would say:

362_photocurlyhoward.jpg

"Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!"​

I wanted to say that 7 out of 8 of some shipped eggs I have definatly are developing!!!! It does work!!
tongue.png

I guess now if they don't hatch, it will be my fault...can't blame it on shipping when chickies are swimming about in the egg right now.

fl.gif

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Actually, that's not 100% true, because I can follow on some of my standard priority mail packages each step of the way. Acceptance here, when it leaves Anchorage, when it hits the next major hub, etc. It's just not ALWAYS. And that's just with normal shipping, not express.
smile.png

Yes, some places will scan it, but you're getting a courtesy service. You're not paying for tracking, so you can't complain when you don't get updates every step of the way. I'm not saying that anyone is, just that I do see that people don't understand the difference between tracking and DC.​

Quote:
Yes, some places will scan it, but you're getting a courtesy service. You're not paying for tracking, so you can't complain when you don't get updates every step of the way. I'm not saying that anyone is, just that I do see that people don't understand the difference between tracking and DC.

Very true.
smile.png

I got lucky a bit ago and bought some ebay eggs from california and they were shipped to GA. I did set them out for one full day before putting them in the bator, and I hatched 12 out of 12. It was amazing and a fluke, but I was happy. I am sure it will never happen again.

I've never had a 100% hatch rate, even on eggs I picked up personally. I have had one shipment with all clear eggs from a very reputable breeder but I think it was the po fault. Most times I do have around 50% so that's fine with me.

I was told to expect a 50% hatch rate from shipped eggs
Plus the post office crushing and scrambling eggs is no doubt a factor. But I have access with shipping to breeds I would not be able to raise otherwise.

2 tries with shipped eggs:

First batch: 24 eggs, none broke.
12 hatched out of 16 left in the whole time (75% hatch)
Some were clear. I left 16 in til day 26. I was too queasy to look inside the ones that I tossed.

Second batch: 14 eggs
3 crushed in shipping and 1 clear at day 14 candling
10 in the incubator right now with 3 pips (day 20)
9 had life for sure during candling (dark eggs) at day 7
1 was a maybe so it's in there too

Best eggs I ever hatched? Shipped.

They were something in the neighborhood of 90% as memory serves. I wish I could remember the guy I got them from - he knew his stuff. Im absolutely convinced it was his breeding that made the difference. I can only recall they were from FL and were Buff Orps. Now those were some super chickens!

For the record, the worst hatch I ever had? Shipped eggs, again.

This time I had a hatch rate of 0% - I distinctly recall that.
He offered to replace them, but if nothing had changed in his hen yard, I figgured, "Why bother?" I declined his offer.

BOTH were from ebay.

=======================================

The best chickens I ever had, period, were from dipsy doodle doo, and were hand me downs.

Now Lisa, she knows her stuff!
bow.gif

Last edited:
Just think, when you become a computer programmer, you can pick up your eggs whenever it suits you.

Not really. I mentioned it to my boyfriend who is a computer programmer and he said it wouldn't even be possible for him. The post office is not open when he goes to work and his lunch break is not long enough to drive across town. Then when he gets off work he may or may not be able to get there in time. That's someone that does work normal 8-5 hours and has a lunch break. I would say a a good majority could not manage to pick things up at the post office most days out of the week. I actually only know one person and they have their own business so they can leave whenever they feel like it. I've heard of lots of people having to take the entire day off work just to pick up chicks or packages of expensive eggs and with usps tracking not being detailed enough they often come on here complaining that the package didn't even arrive when expected and they had no idea how they were going to get it now since they couldn't take another day off. It's not just a simple inconvenience for a lot of people. It's a huge problem bordering on impossible. My situation just happens to be a good example but like I said I can only name one person that can accomplish picking up a package during the hours the post office is open on a weekday. Our local PO is closed on saturday and sunday. While changes in this world may have increased mail speed and the info available it also has made it so people are not always home at set times or the same time as places like the post office work.​

Back
Top Bottom