Do shipped eggs really hatch?

Like everybody else has said there are so many things that can happen to an egg is transit. Over the years from a buyer and a seller we have noted a couple things.

Eggs ship better in cooler weather - not freezing but cool. They don't ship well at all in hot weather.

Eggs from first year laying hens ship better than from older hens - Even in hatching from our flock at home we get better hatch rates from the younger hens.

Some breeds ship better than others, duck eggs ship well - but goose eggs don't. Turkey eggs are hit and miss in shipping - some people get very good hatches other not so good - there doesn't seem to be a middle of the road.

We are on the east coast not far from sea level - when we ship to the mountain states the hatch rate drops. We can ship coast to coast with good hatches

Marking the box doesn't make a difference. We use to mark fragile, eggs, etc etc, now we ship in unmarked boxes and people get better hatches. Ask your local PO how the boxes move from point A to point B once the leave the local PO. They are put on pallets in trucks and planes, go thru the sorting machines regardless of how they are labled. We got this information from a USPS worker that works at a large postal hub.

Standard size boxes ship better - #7, the large flat rate, the small flat rate. Why are boxes basicly the same size? they go thru the auto sorting machines - less human handling means less tossing.

resting the eggs is a must

We also get back reports of the best hatches from people that have cabinet type incubators, the Sportsman or Dickie. They keep a more stable even temp and a shipped egg needs every chance it can get.

Our hatches this year have been
6 out of 25 cuckoo marans coast to coast
9 out of 12 , and 8 of 12 Black copper marans from Georgia
12 out of 14 turkeys from Miss Prissy (our best hatch ever from shipped eggs) from Virginia
and 10 out of 14 Mottled Java's (in the hatcher now - 4 were clear's we have our fingers crossed for the rest) from texas

Steve in NC

Out of my 42 eggs, at day 19, I have 13 left that have signs of life. I lost a whole dozen Silkies because they weren't fertilized.
sad.png
Three of my 6 peafowl eggs are duds, and two of my four goose eggs are duds. All were shipped eggs.
hmm.png

You say goose eggs do not ship well? Why not? I hope you are wrong cause I just spent $45.00 an goose eggs. Do you think shipped eggs hatch better under a broody bird? Maybe a Muscovy?
Thanks for all the responses.

There are problems that can be caused by shipping and some that have nothing to do with shipping.

Shipping can cause:
eggs to appear not fertile
scrambled eggs
loose air cells
floating bubbles
quitters
misshapen air cells
Shipping will not cause:
fully developed embryos not pipped
fully developed embryos pipping and dying
infertility
chicks dying after hatching

So if you have a dozen eggs shipped and not one develops, they were likely damaged in shipping although appearing not fertile. But if you have a dozen eggs and 1 hatches but there are dead chicks in the other eggs, this is an incubation problem and has nothing to do with wether they are shipped or not

we did a project for the FFA kids here and we received over 550 eggs only 250+ hatched. SOOO the majority of them were shipped eggs. Nothing against the shippers, they did an awesome job but you cannot guarantee the PO will handle them with care.

I even had some that I went and picked up and did not hatch them all so it is all just a gamble!

If you couldn't get chicks from shipped eggs I wouldn't have any chickens.
tongue.png
Counting quail I've hatched 100s of chicks from shipped eggs. 100 coturnix quail, probably 100 buttons, a couple dozen japanese bantams, random mix eggs, 7 seramas.... I have only bought 3 chickens and done 1 hatch of my own eggs and the rest are all from shipped. My first hatch I did only make 2 chicks from 24 eggs. I've also had the occasional completely dud batch. Overall though I get about 50%. I always order twice as many eggs as the number of chicks I want and generally come out just right.

I turn mine at about noon-2pm, 5-7pm, and midnight-1am. Not at all even intervals with sometimes more than 12hrs between turning them before bed and turning them in the afternoon. I've gotten hatch rates in the high 90% on my own eggs doing that. I would suggest turning 3 or 5 times a day but it doesn't matter when you turn really. I had one hatch that they had to go 16hrs between one turning every day and then were turned 3 times and they had a fine hatch rate.

I have ordered eggs and they were shipped to me, as I'm typing I am hearing the peeps coming from the incubator. I bought 12 Americana and so far 4 has hatched and doing well.

I also ship my eggs all over the USA and it does make a difference if the box that the eggs are in is mis handled, you will get a lower hatching rate that is why in large RED letters I write EGGS DO NOT DROP - HANDLE WITH CARE. So far I have been lucky my eggs do have a good hatch rate.

I enjoy hatching eggs I use the Hova Bator incubator with egg turner very important and before i know it i have a bunch of baby chicks. We are now housing about 60-70 Rhode Island reds, New Hampshire reds, marans, wellsumers, americana's and some mixed bamtan. I LOVE IT and the all natural fertili:Dzer I get for my garden is awesome. you should see the size of my carrots and beets HUGE!

I have guineas hatching right now from shipped eggs. I also have a coop full of chickens from hatched eggs, a brooder full (28) of hatched eggs and about 70 eggs in my incubators right now from shipped eggs. My hatching rate has been pretty good from shipped eggs from BYC but my hatched rate from ebay has been poor. Go figure.

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom